Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wrecker Yards

Default Wrecker Yards

I am curious if any members in all your travels know of or have seen a totaled xl sitting.

I would possibly have new life for an xl that has been totaled specifily one with front end damage.

If u know of one or ever come across such an animal I would be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks in advance

Ok u guys I have a project!! I have recently purchased a peterbuilt 379 and am going to convert it into a motorhome. A 22000 lb motorhome with a 3406 cat and a 13 speed roadranger transmission. I'm once again sitting atop big wheels and I'm as excited as I was the day I bought my xl. Now I have to decide just how different I want it to be.f36e07c7652b6d7193a42c82a6120ab3.jpg

Big-red-motorhome.jpg

The spot this fellow picked to haul his bicycle speeks volumes.

37182340-318-1974-359-peterbilt-motorhome.jpg

Here is what I'm starting with below.

img.jpg

The bunk the headache rack the 5th wheel and the front rear end r going by by.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 09-04-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Joe, Glad to see you got the pictures figured out. Keep us posted.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Szzwdsc_2159.jpg

7f0f1b62-7cc2-4af3-bbe0-5680.jpg

peterbilt_coe_rv_1967_05.jpg

images1.jpeg

Lot of talented creative people out there on the interweb to get inspiration from. This will be fun.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 09-04-2016 at 09:32 PM.

Okay Joe, here's your goal.

https://goo.gl/images/NT64DD

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I like the door. Its in the right spot.

Time will tell. Won't be grafting an xl to it this year that's for sure. This is defiantly not going to brake the bank and it us going to be easy to work on.

The correct registration and insurance hindges on it being a motorhome.

For now I'm going to make it one so I can register it and insure it as an RV. I already have the RV travel trailer it will be married to.

I cant afford and won't risk a loss on it during a prolonged project. Or it ud have to be insured as a commercial vehicle during that time for more Lew bucks I want to surrender. I'm not even sure st farm would do it. They will only insure if the RV is nondetatchable. No heavy truck chassis with 5th wheels at St Farm. I estimated the gvw at 22000. I described it as a Class B. To insure it as an RV is 1\10 what it costs to insure it as a truck.

The state has a pretty straight forward process to redefine the registration, specialty vehicles.

I don't want to wait either, I want to use it this winter.

This way I'll have the luxury of as much time as I need to refine the finished product. Its gonna take a few years.

U just might wake up to me in your driveway this winter Gill. Where was that outlet I forget?
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 09-05-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Joe,

I think it would be classified as a Class C. The Class B is a van. If you converted your van it would be a Class B. The truck chassis (Freigntliner, Peterbilt, etc) motorhomes are a Class C. This might make a difference in insurance. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

B,s and Cs r both van chassis.

Whatever I end up with im sure there won't be anything hanging up over the cab and I was thinking the difference between a class b and class c was that 1 thing. If no bunk or entertainment center over the cab its a class b not a c? That could be wrong too. St farm simply defined it as a peterbuilt rv don't know if they were critical of other definitions.

Denny the red b model mack I posted picture of that IMHO is a c. The lines an preportions on the low top pete cab r just too good looking to cover up.

Hey Denny what have u been doing with your B model. How about some pics?
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 09-05-2016 at 09:43 PM.

I think Denny is correct. A class B is van based, class C is cab only based, truck or van cab. I can imagine a DMV that makes a registration difference between RV classes beyond towable or motorized.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Ok back again. That first pete never materialized. However I did find and purchase this.

IMG_20161005_111312.jpgIMG_20161005_181621.jpg

This is a 1990 peterbuilt 377 with a 3406cat and a 10 speed. Preferred power but wrong trans but not to worry it has a 13speed in its future. As u can see the process has begun.