Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chassis Batteries - to replace or not to replace?

The Ford keyless control module should be behind the panel immediately next to the door on the right side of the step well when you enter the coach. This just below the dash. The module will have the code on it.

My 03 H-3 has a master chassis disconnect switch near the ignition key. It should be off when the coach is parked. It's also a good idea to have an intelligent charger on the chassis batteries.

You probably have eight 4D batteries over the drive axle for the house bank. If you don't try camp, you can reduce your bank size to four 4D batteries. Featherlite makes this easy as they should have each battery directly wired to buss bars. You can take two out of the 12V half bank and two out of the upper or 24V half bank.

Your flickering house panel lights when turning the DC switch off could be due to a capacitive effect in the switch controller. I wouldn't worry about that. It'seems a good idea to turn your Trace inverters off before removing the AC or DC source, but it shouldn't hurt them if you don't.

Once a battery's plates get exposed the battery can do bad things, like grow or even explode. Chassis batteries are generally maintenance-free flooded wet cells. In the heat they will still lose some electrolytes.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Thanks you!, When you say intelligent charge you mean an after market one that I put on or does the coach charge them? I am having all the batteries changed out, too late to cut back but that does make good sence if we stay in one spot.
    Could one just hook the charger to the Boost point or would that not feed into the batteries?

It's always best to dedicate a charger to a particular bank. Many use Marinco's Guest marine 12/24V chargers for the chassis. The charger of choice within this product line is (CLICK HERE). There are bi-directional charging relays that could work if you have a single engine alternator. The downside of battery combiners is they would tie multiple alternators together, which I would not recommend. BTW, if you install one it would be best to plug it into an outlet that is dead when the engine is running. I say best and I haven't done so yet. Too many things on my list.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion