Thread: 1985 XL FOR SALE - Looking for advice

Default 1985 XL FOR SALE - Looking for advice

My Wife and I are making the decision to sell our 1985 XL Liberty a few years earlier than we planned. We had a "5 year and then decide" plan, our goal to take 1 "epic" cross country road trip each year with my parents to places they have not seen yet and then take a few misc side trips each year. We went to the East Coast, Niagra Falls and all the Great Lakes last year. This year we went to the Bad Lands, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. We pulled a Traverse on a trailer both trips and everything ran out great. We are looking for advise from anyone who has had good or bad experiences selling or buying through the various platforms available. (Prevost Stuff, Prevost Trader, RVtrader etc...)
    We would also like any advise or opinions on pricing.
    We have put about $50,000 into upgrades and maintenance items in the last two years. Our main focus on reliability and comfort.
    New: Tires, Paint Job, Engine cooling (radiator, water pump, thermostats, temp sensors, fan gearbox, belts, hoses), Engine Tune including Jake brake rebuild, Steering Drag Link ends, front shocks, Batteries, LED tail lights, EPDM roof system, automatic digital TV antenna, Connection strips between awnings and coach, windshields.
    Inside New: drivers and passenger flexsteel full power seats with foot rest, flexsteel jackknife sleeper sofa, 2 Amish wallhugger recliners with matching material, extra material to recover dash and window post to match furniture, 7" back up cam, 7" alpine Apple Carplay radio, heater cores for the on the road engine heat inside, 2 of 3 furnaces, 3 flat screen TV including a 48" Sony 4K.

We are thinking of asking $74,000 but I see there are some out there in the 60's and I'm not sure how many buyers know that a set of Michelin XZA's alone will bring the cost up ~$7k?

When we do put up a listing we want to get it sold, not be selling it for the next year. Also, what about timing? In the upper Midwest we are thinking about storage in another month or two, but I know for a lot of the country this is the start of the busy RV season?

I appreciate any advise that anyone has for us.

Regards,
    Tom

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Sounds like you have a plan to sell a nice coach.......put it on Prevost Stuff site and see what happens. Do it now, and don't wait for winter. Contact Jamie and get it posted ASAP!

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Tom,

Ditto to what Pete said.

I would also consider eBay, rvt.com, and The Facebook page Bus Conversions For Sale.

Great pictures and a description that highlights the values without being too verbose are both critical to catching the prospective buyer.

Your target market will include traditional RV owners not wanting to spend too much. That's why you'll want to broaden your advertising.

FWIW, I recently worked on an 85 that sold for about the same price you're asking. So, there should be buyers looking for a coach like yours.
    Last edited by Gil_J; 08-31-2016 at 11:28 PM.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Thanks guys. Every time I have posted on this forum I'm supposed at how fast people respond with great advise.

Oops, spellcheck got me. I meant to say "Surprised" at how fast people respond... Anyway thank you very much!