Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drive Axle Drum Brakes

Joe,

Wow! How long do you think that was in service?

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Long enough to get ALL its good removed. Just for the record the brakes on the hub this came off of were not sticking and still retracting sufficient enough to keep anything dragging. There is that spring between the shoes that also aids in the function. When it brakes the bottom shoe drops and drags and wears out rapidly seen that plenty over the years too.

Gill.....when u show this to a coustomer and they ask is that bad how do u respond? What should I infer from the question? Lol

Farmers..............

Mr Green Jeans that's me today.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 06-15-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    9 Speed Roadranger
    708 243 7871

Back to s cam tid bits

20170615_115309.jpg

If u leave them in there long enough with nylon bushings and no grease they will look like this. This is the riding surface fot the bushing next to the spline where the slack adjuster is. It will always wear more than the surface at the cam end and the cam end always wears more uniformly . It will also wear really bad on the backside that is what i was trying to display with the photo of this worn used s cam. Bottom in the photo.

Back in the day it was common practice for some types to
    Flip them 180 and wear the other half down when they look like this It does take out a certain amount of slop and these r for sure beyond safe service I'd never reinstall this, accept for Captain Kangaroo, and I do have him for a coustomer.

BUT

It is defiantly a step that should be used when reinstalling just slightly worn ones, IE, all u guys. Get them all turned 180. In fact when reusing serviceable cams ALSO make a point of being sure they r all either as was or all flipped to keep them all in harmony. When just slightly worn u gotta look close to be sure too.

20170615_115402.jpg

Mr Sloppy.

Keep them campers happy!
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 06-15-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    9 Speed Roadranger
    708 243 7871

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123