Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Member needing info on Marathon Coaches1990-2002

Rita,

If you are buying a "certified" Marathon I assume you are buying or considering a coach being sold by Marathon. If you are buying from Marathon, or a Liberty fron Liberty, or a Millennium from Millennium I would expect them to have fully inspected the coach and provide a warranty.

Prevost would be the best choice for a chassis and drive train inspections. Don't expect a Prevost facility to understand the converter systems.

Most conversion focused service centers can inspect the converter systems. There are also independents that can inspect the systems. There are even some that will provide codriver and training on your initial delivery. If the coach is in FL, I know a guy ;-)

Never have the seller do the inspection. Also, like a home inspection, don't expect an in depth inspection. It would take days to fully inspect a coach. Your goal should be to inspect the most likely trouble areas and the operational state of all systems.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil,
    Thank you. One thing we do not want to do is miss the important things we would need to have checked out.
    I see some Coaches with baseboard heat. Know nothing about how it functions. Is it something to stay away from?
    Thanks Gil

Heating sources include heat pumps, heat strips, baseboard heat and Webasto/Aqua-Hot. Heat strips and baseboard heat are resistive heating sources and tend to use a good amount of power. Baseboard and Webasto/Aqua-Hot heat are both located where heat should be, at the floor. Heat pumps are temperature limited. Below 25-30 degrees they don't produce much heat, below that they don't work.

There's nothing wrong with any of these sources. Almost all, if not all, have Webasto/Aqua-Hot and one other heating source. Unless it's just a chill I'm getting rid of I use the Webasto/Aqua-Hot.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

We love our Marathon. I've owned it since 2007 and would buy another. Marathon tech support has been outstanding.
    Towson Engsberg
    2006 Legendary XLii DS

From everything I can find The Marathon company stands out.. Now to find the one that's right for us!