Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Serious Plumbing Considerations

About 2 quarts of chlorox jostled around with a ten minute trip for fuel on these E TN roads, dumping the tank and then a refill with a cup added that I will circulate through the fixtures.

I am a little careful about running too much chlorine based chemicals throught the plastic piping. About 10 years ago the type of piping used in our coaches was at the heart of a national class action lawsuit because it was failing due to high concentrations of chlorine in water supplies. I don't think my year of coach had piping made with the problem material, but I will not take a chance.

Whatever contamination my tank received it was slight.

Thumbs up That would be 30 Check Valves 120 Hose Clamps

Ok Jon, so I think I speak for everybody......

If you will bring 30 check valves, 120 hose clamps, you will be all set up for an afternoon or 3 of adjustments on everyones bus ?

Did the addition of the In-Line Check valve have any negative effect on the flow pressure into the bowl? Just curious.

And Jon, I am not making light of the seriousness of this situation and potential problem everyone might have, I was just trying to set a mood for the weekend , and so now I will go fix me a Martini and be quite.

I'm sure there was some effect because the check valve is an in-line restriction, and I added about 3 feet of 1" hose to relocate the flush valve to the more accessible location. I have decided however I will not subject the revised system to the ultimate test by asking JDUB to do a field trial.

I did step up the pressure in the accumulator tank a little because it was down so it probably wasn't working as well as it should have prior to the changes so all I can say is it flushes.

Putting in the check valve and the ball valve was about a ten minute job. Relocating the flush valve was an all morning job because of where I had to reach to access the hose clamps on the braided tubing. I need a drink after that. Pour one for me.

Default crapper plumbing photos

Jon: Good Job on the photos and plumbing job.

Only thing missing was the plumbers crack. Call JDUB and see if he will loan you one.

What is the diameter of the hose (ID). I need to pickup the check valve and cut off at my favorite large chain discount warehouse wholesaler with unskilled employees who are looking for payday and quitting time that sponsor race cars.
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

lewpopp Guest

JDUB,

Did you catch the hint on how to tell your left from your right? Just sit on the catcher (not the pitcher) and all of the answers will come to you.

Roger that....1" braided hose and 1" pipe thread fittings.

All my supplies were at my local Lowe's.

Butt cracks were going on sale next week so I am delaying the purchase.

Dear A1,

I am shocked! What, a flaw in the Liberty. No check valve, no shut off for the water and bad location for the valve. Marathon has a complete manifold system allowing you to shut off the water to each source from the plumbing bay. If you would like a picture of how a converter properly handles the water distribution, please let me know and I'll post it for your convenience.

Is it possible the Liberty owners are drinking poop water?

PS - Good job on the fix by the way...

Dear Marathon Man,

You ask if it possible Liberty owners are drinking poop. Probably not the solids because the problem is not when the potty does not flush, but when you cannot stop the flush. As soon as you turn off water to the coach and the pressure drops to zero, if the coach does not have a spring check valve (ours and many like ours) the contents of the toilet will backflow to the fresh water holding tank.

Apparently when Liberty changed to the Head Hunter water pump (120V) the spring loaded check valve was added.

Every single system drawing shown by Head Hunter of their toilet and flush valve shows a check valve in line, and almost all show an individual shut off for the toilet. The worst part of the whole situation is HeadHunter is showing these as installed in boats with sea water for the flush, a condition where backflow would have no heath consequences to the owner.

I think your on to something that almost sounds like a technical bulletin is needed. Contaminating the fresh water supply is a serious issue.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

So, if a coach has an electric flush, that would mean there is no issue here, right?