Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Plumbing Considerations

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Check the maximum speed for your tires.

The rating tables for tires are not just 'limits.' They express the MTBF which is essential to the design and manufacture of the tire.

For example, if a tire is speed rated at a maxiumum of 65 mph, at about 72.5 mph it is being run at one Standard Deviation above the maxium rating. At 79.5, two Standard Deviations.

Ratings aren't just guidelines with tires, IMHO, they are predictive of what to expect going down the road. Not calculated into the tire manufacturer's guidelines is the application: Most Prevost coaches I know of have a 'time' delay in the suspension, which means that they will roll for a bit before the air suspension system corrects the roll and straightens out the coach.

So, at speeds higher than rated, what occurs is that one has a 20-25 ton chunk of technology basically out of control on a corner...and that doesn't include the additional dynamic of trying to stop or slow down.

Let the trucker yell at me. it wouldn't be the first time (BTW they don't have the 'time' delay system in their suspensions, so that's not an apt comparison).

The TIME issue you speak of is based on Your Computers Clock. Located in the right bottom corner of most comptuer screeens. If you don't adjust it whilst traveling across time zones, your computer will not know the difference between Pacific, Mountain, or Greenich MEAN time.

KNOW WHAT I MEAN ? !!!

Hu Oh, got to go, here come the Thread Police....

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Oh-oh, I knew this was going to come up.

Well, here it goes: http://www.amazon.com/Time-Seduction...e=UTF8&s=books

Quote Originally Posted by Gary & Peggy Stevens View Post
    The TIME issue you speak of is based on Your Computers Clock. Located in the right bottom corner of most comptuer screeens. If you don't adjust it whilst traveling across time zones, your computer will not know the difference between Pacific, Mountain, or Greenich MEAN time.

KNOW WHAT I MEAN ? !!!

Hu Oh, got to go, here come the Thread Police....
    Gary, Are you saying that the software for the forum calculates the times that we see with each posting by some formula relating to each individual computer's internal clock, wherever it is located? JIM

Here's some Fodder for future threads on JPJ.

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Seduction...e=UTF8&s=books

I'm impressed. And I thought Jeffrey was just another bus driver.

mm

Guys! When you registered with the forum, you indicate which timezone your posts are coming from. This is changable in the User CP -> Edit Options part of the forum.

It does not use your current time. Although if your current time IS correct with the timezone you DID post, then these times will agree.

Everyone will see the post time in terms of the selected timezone in the forum preferences.

The server does know what time zone it is in (AND the current time), so that it can accurately display time of posts in your timezone.

Default Plumbing Problem Solved

The start of this thread was a warning about possible contamination of the fresh water tank with water from the toilet.

On my coach the problem has been resolved. In the photo you will see the braided line dedicated to the HeadHunter toilet now has a check valve to prevent backflow from the toilet to the fresh water tank, and a large ball valve that will allow me to turn off all flow of water to the toilet if the flush valve should fail to close.

If you have a HeadHunter toilet on your coach you should at least have the check valve for safety reasons. The check valve must use a spring to seat the valve against backflow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Plumbing Problem Solved Ii

The second part of my frustration with the failed flush valve was the lack of access. As originally installed the valve was sandwiched between the coach floor and the underside of a shelf supporting one of the center Cruise Air evaporators. To say that access was difficult would be an example of understatement.

This is where the valve was originally located, and in the following pictures is its new location with easy access and plenty of room to service it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Lessons Learned

The most critical lesson learned was the potential for cross contamination and the health hazards that could follow.

But on my coach I learned if the valve failed in the open position I could not turn the water flow to the valve off, but instead had to shut off water to the entire coach. That left us with a heated aluminum pup tent. I added a manual valve in line so I could shut off water to the toilet and still have all of the other fixtures functional. That was something I never considered until I had a problem. If you do not have a means to isolate the toilet water supply I urge you to add a valve.

I also learned the flush valve is a simple device, easy to service, but it must be accessible. On my coach it was sandwiched in a place that made it impossible to service. By relocating the flush valve I can now gain access and service the valve in minutes.

For those who do not know the location of the valve I would urge you take the time to find it, and to determine how and if you can remove the 6 screws necessary to service it. If you cannot get at it, or if you cannot see what you are doing when you do get at it you may have a problem.

The valve is almost as simple as an anvil. It is possible the diaphragm that shuts it off may eventually lose its ability to seat and thus will cause the toilet to trickle, the probable failure will be a failure to shut off due to some foreign material that has gotten in the very small weep hole in the diaphragm. To restore proper operation you only need to clean any debris from the hole. It may be helpful to stretch the center spring slightly before reassembly, but just keeping the hole clear is usually all that is necessary to restore proper operation.

A few comments are also in order. You can adjust the level of water in the bowl by accessing and opening or closing the valve usually located at the LH rear of the toilet (when sitting on it). The flush valve itself has a manual control on it if for some reason the push button on the toilet should fail. That control is a white knob located at the base of the solenoid. In normal mode the knob will be straight up and down, but if it is turned counter clockwise it will flush the toilet until restored to the vertical position.

This series of toilet posts will make it too easy for Buckeye Jerry (from OSU) to start back up with A-1 posts, or Mango to continue with Anaconda related posts.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Jon how are you planning to sanitize the fresh water tank? A certian dolution of bleach to water? If so how much, if not, what?