Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious Plumbing Considerations

Petervs Guest

The general rule of going down a hill at the same speed as you went up is just that, a general rule. Not all hills have the same incline on both sides, nor as long a gradient. In the west, there are many passes on the interstates that start in the high desert at say 2500 feet above sea level and climb to 4500 feet at the pass and then descend down to say 800 feet on the coastal side. The climb may be 3 miles long and the descent could be 8 miles. Or the climb could be at a 6% grade and the descent longer at a steady 4%. Or vice versa if you are going the other way of course. So the guideline is just that, and must not always be adhered to.

And, if you are climbing a steep grade at 40 mph because that is all the horsepower you have then going down at 40 is not required or sensible in all cases. Descending at the posted speed limit of 55 or 60 or 65 may well be perfectly fine, depending on traffic and weather conditions.

Part of the POG Code of Ethics should be an admonition not to drive like a bunch of FuddyDuddys! For that I could join the PrevostProuds , FMCA, or whatever group Liberty promotes.

Peter vS
    94 Marathon XLV

My GPS says it went 88 mph at one point down a long straight hill, not towing anything. How fast will it go on a flat straight road?

Mr. Peter... I think the rule about speed is not to compare what it takes to climb one side of the mountain and descend another, but to adjust the speed going going down to be approximately that of going up the same side. The hill JPJ is talking about is about 8 miles long and has a much lower speed limit for trucks on the descent. Not even the truckers will complain about your speed if you are going slow because it is a nasty hill and it has numerous runaway ramps.

Mr. Gary...I wish we could actually measure the cost of our choices. According to Allison we should expect 800 thousand miles out of our transmissions, but even if we change the fluids as recommended, are we going to get that life? We can't compare costs of brakes or transmission fluids alone because of so many other factors. No matter what the choice it costs us money to go and money to stop.

Lightbulb No Trick Questions Allowed!

Peter vS
    94 Marathon XLV

My GPS says it went 88 mph at one point down a long straight hill, not towing anything. How fast will it go on a flat straight road?[/quote]

OK Peter, I'll be you Old Geezer straight man.
    How fast will it go?

As an aside. Your post showed up on my screne as being entered at 11:57AM. If you recal what time did you enter it (your local time)? What time is shown on your computer as the time of entry. Is it the same time you recal for the actual entry?
    JIM

Peter,

I am shocked. Absolutely shocked. First you take a potshot at Liberty owners by lumping us in with Fuddy Duddys, and than you as a pilot IGNORE operating limitations.

My GPS says it went 88 mph at one point down a long straight hill, not towing anything. How fast will it go on a flat straight road?

Check the maximum speed for your tires. This ignores that at 88 you are violating all speed limits in this country. And you have the nerve to publicly proclaim you did so.

Default Roger That!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    We can't compare costs of brakes or transmission fluids alone because of so many other factors. No matter what the choice it costs us money to go and money to stop.
    ROGER THAT! And hell, it even costs when we are not going or stopping.

$93 a night for Bluewater RV resort campground.

Tuga , Maybe, that's why Peg and I didn't look into staying there more? Be sure and send us pictures where the Big $$$$$ spenders stay!

Petervs Guest

OK Jim,

FYI I posted that previous response at 8:57 am PST. That is what my clock said anyway, and that was the local time here in Washington state. It is now 11:45 am.

As for the question of how fast it goes, well it was just that, a question. I do not have the answer because I have never tried it. I was at Bonneville Salt Flats once, but the lake bed was not hard and dry so I was not tempted. But I bet someone here has tried it and I was just curious.

And Jon, sorry a broke a law. I was not purposely going real fast, it is just that on that particular day I was on an interstate where the speed limit was 75 and when going downhill my cruise control does not invoke the Jake Brake and so it just speeded up. Since the ride is so nice, and the wind noise is essentially nil, I did not notice right away. Excuuuuuse me! I bet I am not the only one who has ever broken a speed limit. And as for the tire rating, well, I am not too concerned about a momentary overspeed. I would not drive for hours on end at an overspeed.

Also, I did not lump Liberty Owners WITH Fuddy Duddys, they are each in their own seperate category in my mind anyway.

Peter VS

OK, we are going to let it slide this time. I'm going to forgive you because you are a nice guy.

In the meantime I'll stick with my blazing 62 MPH, safely below my tire speed limits.

BTW, a little drift here, but since low sulfur has become the standard I think the increased consumption is much greater than the few tenths being discussed. Not that I am a cynic, but with lower BTU content the very government that shoves this crap down our throats stands to increase our taxes substantially because with the increased use of fuel they collect the tax on many more gallons and have not added a penny to their cost of collecting (stealing) our money. Keep the speed down and you deny the government weenies their unearned income.

Default Hi jacked thread

How did this speed thing get into the a plumbing topic??????????????
    GregM

Petervs Guest

My toilet flushes at 65 mph!

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Petervs View Post
    OK Jim,

FYI I posted that previous response at 8:57 am PST. That is what my clock said anyway, and that was the local time here in Washington state. It is now 11:45 am.

As for the question of how fast it goes, well it was just that, a question. I do not have the answer because I have never tried it. I was at Bonneville Salt Flats once, but the lake bed was not hard and dry so I was not tempted. But I bet someone here has tried it and I was just curious.

And Jon, sorry a broke a law. I was not purposely going real fast, it is just that on that particular day I was on an interstate where the speed limit was 75 and when going downhill my cruise control does not invoke the Jake Brake and so it just speeded up. Since the ride is so nice, and the wind noise is essentially nil, I did not notice right away. Excuuuuuse me! I bet I am not the only one who has ever broken a speed limit. And as for the tire rating, well, I am not too concerned about a momentary overspeed. I would not drive for hours on end at an overspeed.

Also, I did not lump Liberty Owners WITH Fuddy Duddys, they are each in their own seperate category in my mind anyway.

Peter VS
    That time thing I was just wondering if the whole system reflected EST or what? Now if I were loged on via. Verison card I suppose there would be a time correction when one made a shift between towers as I traveled towards you,or something like that. Can anyone enlighten me. If all the posts on my computer are time and date signed would they change to west coast time if my computer from Chardon were connected in Seattle for instance, or once the data is in the computer is that that even when it moves around from place to place??

Peter, The speed thing is crazy. Don't do things like that!!!!! Buy Lottery tickets if you think your feeling lucky. I won't say I have never done foolish things like that, but that is what they were FOOLISH! A catastrophic failure happens in a fraction of a second. Your tires are not rated for what you are attempting and your engine/transmission/bearings/belts and suspension are being stressed excessively. Even if they don't fail catastrophically their life is shortened and the reliability is deminished. Whitness Jeff B. and his bearing failure. So how were you taching out @ 88? What was the RPM. That is what you need to Know to figure the top speed. If you know the rear end gear ratio and the trans. 6th gear is 1:1 then measure the tire circumfrance and do the math. I don't think you will get to that speed but the next time you try you will know better how close you are to top speed when at 88 mph. If you don't know the gearing then work it out with RPM,s at a known speed.
    Imagine your reaction to a bird through the windshield at 88, or a deer jumping out. If you want to go fast there are classes at race tracks where for a reasonable price and with quite a bit of safety you can speed to your hearts content! Shame on me for scolding I have no right to do that but I don't want to read about your tragedy in the news. This topic was thorougly discussed a few months ago and I did not participate in the discussion thats why I feel I can spreek up now. JIM