Thread: EGR on Detroit Diesel Series 60

Default EGR on Detroit Diesel Series 60

Is it true EGR's started on 2004 model year? Are they benefits to a non EGR engine? Has there been problems with early EGR engines? Reason I ask is had a EGR cooler go out in my Cummins taking the Turbo with it, costing me a bundle. My feeling is less moving parts the better. Am I wrong?

EGR valves, diesel particulate filters and diesel exhaust fluid systems were not installed to help performance, longevity, or fuel consumption. These were installed to satisfy EPA requirements. The 2007 EPA standards that resulted in the addition of DPF systems is a clear sign that the EPA doesn't have diesel engine engineers and obviously didn't consult that industry. What the 2007 standard did was drive most manufacturers out of the over the road industry. Both CAT and Detroit left the market and CAT remains out of the market. International had a failed attempt to remain in the market with their failed MaxxForce engine. Okay, back to your question.

Yes, Prevost introduced the Detroit EGR engine with their 2004 model. Keep in mind that will be a 2005 model offering by most converters.

The EGR engines were fuel hogs getting typical mileage in the 5's were my 2003 Prevost model year routinely gets 7 mpg. The good news is EGR valves are typically easy to defeat. The same can't be said for DPF and DEF systems.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion