Thread: Roof issue? Lurker/newbie

Default Roof issue? Lurker/newbie

Hi all! Been a member for a short while and I have enjoyed reading all sorts of info regarding owning/operating a Prevost conversion. I am looking at a 2000 Vantare XL and when I checked the roof it was all peeling (clear coat). How often does this occur and what is the best way (and cost) to correct. Hoping this is the right place to start. Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Doug

Unfortunately, peeling clear coat on the roof line, especially with darker colors, is a reality for coaches that haven't been garage queens. The good news is the coach was used so any leaks, if there are any, should be visible. A problem with the always garaged is it's hard to know if there are any leaks.

All roof seems and roof penetrations should periodically be recaulked. Make sure this is on your list of to-dos. Outside storage or use can also lead to failure of translucent roof hatches. They are inexpensive to replace.

As for the cost of clear coating or painting and clear coating, I'll defer to others. If it's just the white area of the roof you might want to consider a roof type coating versus paint. Again, if it's just the white area and you want paint, a good semi trailer shop will use Imron and the price should be good.
    Last edited by Gil_J; 06-20-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil,

Thanks for the quick response. I found no evidence of leaking and other than the peeling clear coat the bus is in good shape with a lot of maintenance records and recent tires. More inspections to come. I hope to be joining other owners on the road soon.

Doug

Doug,

I had clear coat peeliing. I decided to go with a roof coating that is supposed to lower the internal temperature. Just one alternative to redoing the clear coat. I had started two different threads describing the process.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...highlight=roof
    http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...highlight=roof
    Last edited by dale farley; 06-20-2016 at 08:12 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Gil,

Thanks for the quick response. I found no evidence of leaking and other than the peeling clear coat the bus is in good shape with a lot of maintenance records and recent tires. More inspections to come. I hope to be joining other owners on the road soon.

Doug

Dale,

Enjoyed the info from the two links. Your roof looked really good when you were done. I hope I have no "trapped on the roof issues"!

Thanks for the replys

Doug

I am experiencing the same thing and mine was in the shop in California. I ask them about it and they said don't worry about it the whole bus gets a clear coat at the end of painting for the finish but roof really isn't needed unless you had money to burn.
    It's just kinda messy for awhile.

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!