Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RV Resort site ownership

Tuga,

If you're going to Kerrville (POG3), you can see their variation on lot ownership. Buckhorn has a private area (over a bridge) to "The Club". Intead of purchasing a site, you put up $45,000, which will be returned when you decide to give up interest on your site.

On your site, however, you can build whatever you want, and when I looked in October, one family was building a 2000 square foot two-story house!

You still have to pay $475 per month to maintain the spot, but later when you decide to move on, you may sell any building etc which you put on the site. So, it's "sorta" like getting the site without buying a $100,000 site first.

There were some really nice homes there. Ask Sheryl Prather (at Buckhorn) to give you a tour of "The Club".

Jon,

I was not talking about a blip. If you look at Europe with $7/gal prices and a lot less income, the masses don't have second homes, they don't fly and they don't stay in hotels. They drive and camp. There are campgrounds everywhere and the industry is very strong. This, of course, doesn't mean that I agree with you about the fuel prices skyrocketing.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

One of the specific problems with 'campgrounds' in Florida is that they are (with a few exceptions) dwindling. There is a $14,000 environmental impact fee/site in many counties and a ton of permitting, which was not required in the past. This has made new construction around here too costly except for 'owned' sites. And that just gets you a piece of paper. Then you develop the site, utilities and such. So for a rental-based campground with hundreds of sites, the preferred investment is privately-owned sites. Secret Garden, once an 800-site grass-full service campground was demolished (Kissimee) last year for condos and it keeps on rolling along.

And no, I don't choose the Kool-Aid; Diet Pepsi works for me, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    Tuga,

If you're going to Kerrville (POG3), you can see their variation on lot ownership. Buckhorn has a private area (over a bridge) to "The Club". Intead of purchasing a site, you put up $45,000, which will be returned when you decide to give up interest on your site.

On your site, however, you can build whatever you want, and when I looked in October, one family was building a 2000 square foot two-story house!

You still have to pay $475 per month to maintain the spot, but later when you decide to move on, you may sell any building etc which you put on the site. So, it's "sorta" like getting the site without buying a $100,000 site first.

There were some really nice homes there. Ask Sheryl Prather (at Buckhorn) to give you a tour of "The Club".
    Ray,

Thanks for the info, yes we are going to attend the rally @ Buckhorn in Kerrville. The Buckhorn is one of our favorite RV resorts. We saw the Club when it was first built. I agree with you, I think that it is a great deal. Ken Hammill (Big Rigs Best Bets) has a site in the Club and he loves it.

I think that for our use, it is just better to rent a site for a week. We don't ever stay in one spot for more than a week. We just love to drive and see new places and things. Variety is the spice of life.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Smile Own a lot?

We own a lot at River Ranch East of Lake Wales Florida. Formerly an Outdoor Resorts, now a HOA/dude ranch/RV park. Maintenance and taxes are acceptable and lot values have increased in the last three years as fuel prices are causing RV owners to travel shorter distances for the "long weekends" many of us working types enjoy. We have many new owners from Miami, Tampa, Orlando and West Palm buying now as we are with in a couple hours drive of their homes. Many have stated they stopped the 8 and 10 hour trips to the Carolinas or N. Georgia and now come to "the ranch", year round.

Its a great home base for us and after owning for almost 7 years, we have no regrets (other than agreeing to serve on the HOA board). We still like to visit other parks and travel to other parts of the country, but River Ranch is a great place to come home to!

Plus, were close to Lew (but not to close).