Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Keys

Default Florida Keys

Karen and I have been sitting around in the cold and wet weather for the last couple of weeks and we are sick of it. Yesterday, I said "Let's go to Key West?" She said o.k. let's go! So we are off to the Florida keys. Leaving Sunday and coming back who knows when.

We would like to know what specifically are the best sites to see in the keys from those who have been there. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

We are going to travel down the west coast of Florida and then on the return trip up the east coast.

Has anyone traveled Hwy 41 from Naples to Homestead? It looks like a good short cut as opposed to I-75.
    Last edited by merle&louise; 02-02-2007 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Additional questions
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

dalej Guest

Tuga, that's the road we took when we did that route. We stayed at the state park just east of Naples. It was a nice road. We spent a day photographing the gators. This was in 2002, so things might have changed.

ps..I think it was Seminole State Park
    Last edited by dalej; 02-02-2007 at 07:48 AM.

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Feburary is crowded there but you should be able to get a spot at Fiesta Key at the 70 mile marker because it was slated to close last year and not a whole lot of people know its open again. If you didn't notice we returned your PM and gave you our phone#. We have been going down for 5YRS now call us I'm much quicker on the phone than this computer.

Still LOTS of gators on 41, we went that way too.

Thanks Joe & Dale, we booked a site at Sunshine Key for the first 2 nights.
    They had a site available and I didn't want to take a chance. We will look around after we get there.

Any special tourist sites that are a must see?
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by merle&louise View Post
    Any special tourist sites that are a must see?
    Do's: Conch Train when you first get there in Key West. A very informative train ride all around Key West discussing lots of local landmarks and historical points of interest. Then you can go back and see more of what you wanted to see and visit, on your own time schedule.

Don't: Stay at Boyds Campground. The campground is not a bad place, but it is very very cramped, and 45's are not something you want to bring in and try and park. Also the Damn Roosters start crowing at 4:30 every morning, and that is what drove Peg and I out of there two days earlier than anticipated. SERIOUSLY

Don't forget the 105 Miles (?) down from the mainland to Key West takes about 4-5 hours due to contruction and two lane roads.

But remember " IT IS NOT THE DESTINATION, BUT THE JOURNEY"

Gary S

Thumbs up Bluewater Key RV

Oh yea, Tuga, check out Bluewater Key RV Marine Campground. We didn't get to on this trip but wished we had.
    http://www.bluewaterkey.com/home.htm

You can pick up a nice lot on the water for a mere $700K, but hey you don't have to own a lot to stay there, that is if they have any places available at the time?

Let us know what you think about it, and of course pictures.

Gary S

Ben Guest

Tuga,

I don't think I'll make it to the Keys until the last week in March... let me know if you're still there

Ben,

Sorry we can't hook up with you in the keys, but we will only be there for about a week. Karen and I both have to get back home for Feb. 12th. I'll admit it is not much time, but it is all that we can do at this time. Hope to meet you in Kerrville.

Gary,

The Conch Train sounds great. We are both excited about Key West.

We will be staying 2 nights in Marathon and then 2 more nights in Bluewater RV Resort in Key West. This is all that we could get on such short notice. I suppose that we are lucky to get these sites during the peak of the season.
    $700,000 for a water front lot @ Bluewater! I wouldn't pay a nickel over $695,000 - I wonder if there would be any room left for price appreciation! Some people just have too much money.

Thanks for all of the advice and help from all of you. We will post some pictures (if I can attach them, I may need some help).
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

lewpopp Guest

Tuga'

"some people have too much money" Why do you talk about me in that tone of voice? Jeeeeze !

Lew

Hey Lew, check out these "great deals". They must be having a sale!

Can you believe these prices!

BLUEWATER KEY RV RESORT

CURRENT LISTING OF SITES FOR RESALE 1/13/07

#5 $600,000.00 (Canal Lot) Professionally designed for enjoyment of privacy, entertaining, and beautiful tropical landscaping, including mature Royal and Queen Palms. Has two tikis - one for dining and the other for sitting which contains cabinetry and ceramic tiled counter. Also, dockage for your boat on deep blue water canal. This lot has successfully attained permitted status. Contact Denise @ 570-575-4050.

#7 $499,000 (Canal lot) PRICE REDUCED for quick sale! 35' x 80' canal lot with16' x 24' permanent dock/deck with fish cleaning station. Large tiki with bar, ceiling fan, lighting, vinyl wind curtain, appliance cabinets, and beautiful brick patio. Includes large metal storage shed, standard concrete pad, 30/50 amp power, telephone, and resort cable. Call owner Lou Marcrum @ 305-745-3182.

#8 $495,000 (Canal lot) Tropical landscaping, concrete pad, wood decking connecting to a large wooden dock overlooking a deep boating canal. Site includes all the outdoor furniture, hot tub, tropical swing, and a cute tiki hut. A nice trailer is also for sale. Call owner @ 561-204-1418 or 954-214-8136.

#10 Canal Site $600,000. On secure deep boating canal with tropical landscaping, tiki hut, new outdoor furniture, wet bar and a very large deck/dock. Assumable fixed rate loan, with 20% down. Call Cory Kulok @ 305-797-0909.

#14 NEW LISTING $575,000 (CANAL LOT) FARTHEST STANDARD CANAL LOT FROM HIGHWAY WITH DOCK ON DEEP WATER CANAL, SHALLOW WATER ACCESS TO OCEAN AND GULF, 2 BEAUTIFUL GUMBO LIMBO TREES ON CANAL, NICE BORDER LANDSCAPING. SATELLITE TV AND CABLE READY. 22' FOOT SEADOO JET DECK BOAT ALSO AVAILABLE. CALL GARY 772-913-2277 OWNER email videodish@aol.com

#25 PRICE REDUCED to $479,000 (Offwater) Lot #25 is a poolside/off water lot in a quiet location, yet close to the clubhouse, pool and dock. Big rig friendly, full hook-up site has tropical landscaping, a large side patio with concrete table and benches for under your awning dining. There’s also a private stamped concrete patio across rear of lot with 12 x 23 Tiki (new roof 01/06). Ready for your outdoor kitchen or bar. Call: Gary or Mell @ 305-923-5213 or 352-536-9628.

#35 SOLD!!

#54 $769,000 Waterfront site is 35' x 80' with large wooden deck and 12' x 18' tiki hut with wood deck, ceiling fans, lighting, kitchen cabinets/bar and undercounter refrigerator. Open water sunrise view from Tiki and Coach. Lot has lush tropical landscaping and a 10' x 30' concrete patio. The lot also comes with a 8' x 12' floating dock/swim platform. Full hook-up w/ 50 amp service, water, cable TV and telephone. Please contact Bill @ 972-740-5784.

#61 $799,000 Open water lot. Large open water site with new tiki hut, Boston brick pavers patio, new floating dock/swim platform. Tropical landscaping, 50 amp, water, electric, cable and phone hook-up. Owner financing is available. Call Cory Kulok @ 305-797-0909

#67 $735,000 (Waterfront) Beautiful large open water lot. New legal Tiki Hut, plus smaller Tiki Hut. Gorgeous palms and tropical plants. Floating dock, concrete pads. Lot and boat to be sold together for $775K. Boat is the "best for Bluewater!" Triton 22' tunnel hull, 200HPDi Yamaha, loaded with options, new condition. For details and pictures, call Hank Albers at 701-471-6000 or email hanksales@midconetwork.com.

#70 $699,000 (Waterfront) site is 35' x 80' with large wood deck and 12' x 16' tiki hut. Enjoy the sunrise from your tiki with 12' of kitchen cabinets with bar. Also a 10' x 20' concrete patio, tropical plantings and a 10' x 14' wood dock. Full hookups w/50 amp service, cable TV, telephone and additional sewer service for 5th wheel. Please contact Bill @ 319-337-6081 or 319-631-1383.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot