Thread: Flooded Wet Cell Start Batteries

Threaded View

Default Flooded Wet Cell Start Batteries

I got a pic sent to me today of an exploded battery and this explination.

Bus been sitting for a while. Went to start and it barley turned over charged it up tried to start again and BOOM.

So what of this. Well, if a battery is out of water and a plate is also broke and shorting charging low on water makes hydrogen gas broken plate makes spark and BOOM.

So that got me thinking about the so called maintenence free sealed flooded wet cell batteries. NOT. First they r not really sealed and prolonged high temp could potentially evaporate the water just for starters. Overcharge, pinhole in the case ect ect.

I suppose there is aplication that demands a sealed wet cell battery but for our start batteries it is not nessessary and if u have 1 with caps that can be removed and reservoirs that can be kept full the possibility of blowing one up is significantly reduced.

When he didn't start and went back with the charger if the batteries had caps he would have found the dry battery and filled it but his were sealed and it went BOOM. No good. Could have been avoided I think.

No good reason to buy a sealed flooded wet cell for start batts or no???

My 2 cents. What say u.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-28-2016 at 05:52 PM.