Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aloha! Leaving Hi and hitting the road with 7 kids

Default Aloha! Leaving Hi and hitting the road with 7 kids

Hey guys! My wife and I just purchased our first bus. A 1998 Prevost XL with 9 bunks and a custom shower room. We have 4 boys/3 girls aged 3-12. We lived in AK for 10 years before moving to the beautiful island of Kauai. We feel like we have had our fun, and after lots of research into different coaches, decided to purchase a used XL. We pick it up in Nashville on march 14th. Having the rear lounge converted to a stateroom as well as other odds and ends that the wife wanted. We work with an awesome company called Plexus Worldwide, helping people get healthy and lose weight, so we are going to vinyl wrap the bus down to the stainless and promote Plexus on the road. So stoked! Next step is insuring the bus. Any suggestions?

-Erik, Amy and fam
    # alohaplexus

tmp_24127-00s0s_5VU1Od7IBfp_600x450364482762.jpg

Erik, Welcome to the POG and congratulations on your new bus. Many of us share your enthusiasm for the XL model. There are several good insurance companies for your bus, but a significant number of us have our insurance with Explorer. If you decide to go with them, you may also want to get their Emergency Road Service that they offer with Coach Net.

Explorer Insurance
    888-774-6778
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Thanks for the info. How does their Roadside assistance compare with Good Sam club?

I've had several roadside programs, including Good Sam. There is no comparison. I just used Coach Net about a month ago, and they did things right. If you add it on to your Explorer insurance, you get a much better deal than if you purchase it straight from Coach Net. You will also find that Explorer has one of the most competitive prices when it comes to Prevost insurance.
    Dale & Paulette

Nice bus, I looked the listing.

A word of caution of your plan to wrap the bus. A commercial advertising wrap MAY have some law enforcement agencies looking at your bus as being commercial. The definition of what makes a bus commercial is pretty broad. Basically, if you make money from it, it's commercial. I would be particularly concerned crossing into Canada. Concerned only because I have no idea what their commercial vehicle laws.

If you do go the commercial route and I doubt you want to, you are subject to all DoT commercial requirements like logs, driving hours, weigh station stops. Your vehicle would also fall under commercial requirements. The good news, if there can be any, is your coach was an entertainer, so it should have the required roof escape that isn't required or found on motorhomes.

Just something to be aware of.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Welcome to pog.

So I'm guessing u pulled a stack of bunks and enlarged a bathroom with a shower it didn't originally have? Most entertainer 12 bunkers dont have one. That would have left 3 stacks of bunks and 9 spots to sleep?

What about the kitchen, did it have a cook top?

Did the conversion come with very small water tanks and water heater that had to be changed too? 1 inverter 2 or 3 house batteries?

Who converted it originally? Don't mean to drill u I'm just trying to point out some of the differences in the entertainer chassis and conversions for everyone.

I see it's got otr a/c that's good cause on entertainer conversions without otr a/c it would have 2 generators.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-28-2016 at 09:37 AM.

Erik,

Another tip that may be helpful now or in the future. Most Prevost owners change tires between 5 and 7 years old based on the date on the sidewall. Don't wait until you wear out the tread! If you are a member of FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association), you can use their program to purchase Michelin tires at a significant discount from numerous participating dealers. The discount is usually several hundred dollars cheaper than the normal price.
    Dale & Paulette

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    Nice bus, I looked the listing.

A word of caution of your plan to wrap the bus. A commercial advertising wrap MAY have some law enforcement agencies looking at your bus as being commercial. The definition of what makes a bus commercial is pretty broad. Basically, if you make money from it, it's commercial. I would be particularly concerned crossing into Canada. Concerned only because I have no idea what their commercial vehicle laws.

If you do go the commercial route and I doubt you want to, you are subject to all DoT commercial requirements like logs, driving hours, weigh station stops. Your vehicle would also fall under commercial requirements. The good news, if there can be any, is your coach was an entertainer, so it should have the required roof escape that isn't required or found on motorhomes.

Just something to be aware of.

If you go commercial you will also need a CDL, (Commercial Drivers License)

Thanks for the info, Gil. It does have have a roof Escape hatch. Hopefully it won't need to go commercial even though we will have a logo on it. It has has a new 20kw Kohler Gen with bus air. Some place called Klein conversions did the initial conversion, and previous owner had a set of bunks yanked and as nice shower and changing room put in. He also added an additional 155 gal fresh water tank and 155 gal gray water tank with new 15gal water heater. Has a 2500w inverter and 4 new AGM house batteries. Tires were replaced last year and have about 20k on them, coach mileage is around 325k.. New Jake brakes, radiator, led lighting inside and new led rear-end lights. Also has new carpet and leather upholstery. I'm having the guys at busforsale.com shop make the rear lounge into into a stateroom, add a cooktop, put in a bigger undermount sink and add a second toilet back in the shower room. Looking into dezee awnings and a couple slide out trays for the storage bays. Should be fun!

Here are some pics. Also...wife really wants an oven. What are the thoughts on that?