Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KVH R6 and Technical Manual

Default KVH R6 and Technical Manual

Good morning everyone,

I have a KVH r6 system installed in RV. Yesterday it started to search for satellite, and never found same. This is new problem. We did have strms, but after they cleared everyone else got reception and I did not. I have tried everything (turning off and disconnecting etc). I also have Motosat with bird on a wire. Reception that way is fine so I know the receiver is working. What I need is the technical manual for the r6, or a link to get same. With that and hyperlink I think I can fix this problem.

Thank you

Kim
    02 Vantare XLII S2
    06 Dodge mega cab
    06 kvh r6 not working

[QUOTE=nrhareiner;9967]Good morning everyone,

I have a KVH r6 system installed in RV. Yesterday it started to search for satellite, and never found same. This is new problem.
    Thank you
    Kim

Kim this happened with our KVH system as well in our coach. It would search and search and never find the signal to lock on. Previously it had been working fine. We stopped in Sanford at Featherlite on our way to POGI and their techno geek had to hook up his laptop and download new software into the system to update it. It took about 45 minutes to diagnose the problem and $100.00 It worked fine after that. I have no idea if this is your issue but this is what worked for us.

Default KVH not working

Kim,

We went through the exact same scenario and then had the software upgrade done by Danny at Featherlite in Sanford as well and it worked but Danny said it might still be touch and go because our in motion system was very old. A month later he replaced it with a Trac Star System which they had never used before and it has been great. Danny went in and replaced the majority of the rest of the entertainment system and wire and cabling as it was a mess, well worth it. Real nice work.

I looked for our old manual but it apparently went out with the old system.

Richard and Barbara Beecher
    Ft. Lauderdale
    '97 Vogue XL 40

Kim,

Our KVH Tracvision system sometimes forgets where it is at when you move the coach for long distances with the sat off. However, it generally boots up after a reasonable amount of time. Or I turn it off and on. Or Rae whacks it with the atlas.

I don't know if you read this, but it was all I could find.

Unit Can't Find Satellite

There are a number of common issues that could explain why your system will not find the satellite.

Satellite signal blocked – Satellite signals can be blocked or degraded by trees and branches, buildings, mountains, overpasses, or equipment on the vehicle or vessel itself. Refer to your owner’s manual, to make certain that the TracVision unit is in the optimal location. Simply moving the vehicle or vessel to clear an external obstruction will also restore signal quality.

Vehicle/vessel turning during startup (In-motion TracVision systems only - excludes S3/S2/SF/SA) – If the vehicle or vessel turns during the 60-second startup and initialization sequence that occurs immediately after turning on the power to the TracVision unit, the antenna gyro will record that variable motion as “standing still.” This may cause the antenna to track improperly. To solve this problem, turn TracVision off for at least 10 seconds. Turn the system back on, making certain that the vehicle or vessel is either motionless or traveling in a straight line for the 60 seconds immediately following power-up.

Incorrect or loose RF connections – As part of preventive maintenance KVH recommends checking the antenna unit cable connections. A loose RF connector can reduce signal quality. In addition, if you are able to switch to the other programmed satellite, make sure you have connected your RF signal cable to the antenna baseplate connector labeled “RF1”.Please refer to the "Connecting the Antenna RF Signal Cable to the IRD" section of your owner’s manual for more information.

Type of multiswitch used (North American systems only) – An active multiswitch must always be used to connect the TracVision system to multiple IRDs. Refer to the "Connecting the Antenna RF Signal Cable to the IRD" section of your owner’s manual for directions on proper multiswitch/multiple IRD cabling.

IRD faulty – In the case of a faulty IRD, refer to your IRD user manual for service, replacement, and warranty information.

Thanks everyone,

I will head out to the dealer to try the software correction as soon as feasible. This unit is only 2 weeks old at this point. It is actually the second R6 installed. The first had a LNB go out in 3 months.

Kim Sloan
    02 Vantarre XLII S@
    06 Dodge Megacab

Kim,

This may not be an opinion that will please you, I think it needs to be stated.

We had problems with the KVH. Frequently.

I finally started checking and found the TracStar was the simplest and most reliable. The entertainers are using TracStar almost exclusively because when on the road they just can't take the time to mess with repairs.

It has been on the coach now for about 15 months and there is no comparison to the KVH. It locks on within seconds, and has worked perfectly, something I could not say about the other one.

Jon

Hello Jon,

I agree with you. Only problem is that at this point I am still under Lazy Days warrenty. They will replace but not change. I know it is not understandable since this will be the tird unit. I much prefer the Tracstar.

I hope to see you and the "Green Bus" at POG III

Kim

Kim,

Looking forward to it. Look for my post about Headhunter toilets and valves.

Jon

Jon,

I have a KVH TracVision LM in my bus that I cannot get to work with my Direct TV receiver. Since you previously had a KVH that performed unsatisfactorily, do you think the KVH so unstable that I should not pursue trying to get it working?
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

So far, no problem with mine. Gary
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide