Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New member and questions

Default New member and questions

Hi all. I'm a new POG member as of a couple of days ago. I've been lurking about for quite some time reading as much as I could without being a paid member. When I finally got tired of not being able to see all of the cool photos I decided that it was time to pay up. I've been spending the last couple of days soaking up as much of the knowledge on this forum as my poor old brain will allow.

Anyhow, I'm currently in the market for an older '96-'97 Liberty XL 40'. Would it be appropriate to ask the following questions via email to a dealer about a specific coach prior to a first telephone call with that dealer? I'm the type that prefers to do as much research as possible so as to weed out the bad apples before wasting too much time (mine and the dealer's). Here's what I put together for an initial set of questions. What do you guys think?

Build Sheet
    VIN and Coach Build (serial) Number
    Engine Model and Serial Number
    Any additional detailed photos (interior and exterior)

How many owners?
    Does it contain a complete set of Prevost and Liberty manuals?
    Are there any known issues with the coach? Recent repairs/replacements?
    Are there complete repair logs from new until now?
    Are there complete maintenance logs from new until now?
    What are dates and types of all tires (including inside drive)?
    What are dates and types of batteries (house, chassis, generator)?
    When was the most recent engine, transmission and generator service performed?
    When was the most recent A/C service performed?
    When was the most recent brake service?
    Have the brake chambers, airbags, shocks or norgren (ride height) valves been replaced? If so, when?
    Have all safety recalls been completed?

I realize that many of these questions will be easily answered if the coach has a complete set of repair and maintenance logs. Is this asking too much of a preliminary review, not enough or spot on?

Thanks and I look forward to this new journey wherever the road may lead.
    Kevin

Kevin,

I've been waiting on someone else to reply, but since that hasn't yet happened, I will give an opinion. All the questions are great questions and things that we all would like to know before purchasing a Prevost. Some dealers may think the questions are somewhat "extensive" for the first inquiry via email. Although valid questions, it will take a dealer a significant mount of time to compile the answers if they are able to do it at all. You would probably be better off to ask a few of the most important questions, establish a relationship with the dealer and actually view the coach before expecting to get comprehensive answers to every question.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Thanks, Dale. I'm just beginning my search and I guess I'm just a bit nervous about the whole inspection process. I've been reading a lot of POG posts and it's been suggested that a buyer have the coach inspected by a conversion company as well as by Prevost (for a chassis inspection) and maybe even by Detroit Diesel. I'm in the Tampa Bay area so I think my options are pretty good here with regards to finding a reputable inspector.

I'll take your advice and whittle down my questions to the most important and establish a relationship with a dealer before asking too much. If it were you looking at a '96 or '97, what would your most important questions be?

Kevin,

I'm in the Tampa area, Crystal River, and can probably help you in your quest for the perfect coach. I can't reply in detail right now, I will.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Kevin,

If you haven't already looked, it will be beneficial to go to "Articles" on the top line menu and then click on "Pre-Purchase Inspection (Check List)". It is a very comprehensive list of things to look for when purchasing a Prevost. You can customize it to fit your particular needs.

Some of the most expensive items are always the house batteries, tires (max tire life 5 to 7 years), and air systems. It is always a good idea to get a pre-purchase inspection from someone who knows what to look for. As Gil said, he is close to you, and he is one of the most knowledgeable people you will find when it comes to Prevosts. I would definitely take advantage of his offer to help. Don't hesitate to post more questions as you proceed with your search.
    Dale & Paulette

Gil - Thanks for the offer to help. I've driven these buses both for family (when my parents owned one) and as a transport driver so I am somewhat familiar with them. However, the detailed information that I read in some of the posts on here makes me feel like I don't know squat. It's nice to know that you're in the area.

Dale - I don't think I've seen that Pre-Purchase Inspection check list. I'll go have a look. Thanks. I'm sure I'll have more questions as things move along. I'm doing my best to use the Search tool for all it's worth before I start asking too many questions.

Kev, Proceed on your quest with the following information. Some Converters designed their conversions to be plugged into power most of the time. Some require that their generators run whenever disconnected from power. Some Converters supply electrical and plumbing schematics of each Bus they build [ very important for people that want to maintain the Bus themselves ] and other Converters keep this information secret so owners have to return to the facility that built them for repairs. Although some Converters are no longer in business, the wealth of information and source of parts available on this site will keep you rolling.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim - since I'm planning on being a full-timer and will do a lot of dry camping I'm looking for a conversion that is going to be ok with running off of a bank of 8+ house batteries overnight until I can recharge the next day (ideally via solar with generator as a backup). Something that needs to be plugged in every night or most of the time will definitely not work for me. I also don't want to have to run the generator in order to cool the coach while driving. I seem to remember that my parents' Liberty had manuals for everything you could imagine. I want to say they had plumbing and electrical but I can't remember exactly. I'm all about DIY so having detailed manuals is a big plus in my book. I see that you're in a CC. Do you have much dry camping experience with it or with other Prevosts?

Oh, and I notice that your location shows Franklin, NC as well as Brooksville. I'm back down in the Tampa Bay area now but have just spent the first half of this year at a house in Sky Valley, GA (just up the road from Dillard, GA). It sure is beautiful country up in those mountains.

Kevin, There are many other coaches without roof air. Although I have never done much dry camping, my bus would be a good candidate for installing solar on the roof because I have no roof airs and very little obstructions of any kind. CC has their own bus air while driving down the road, but most do have roof airs for cooling while parked. You will find many variations of air conditioning systems in Prevosts. If your dash air is working properly, it will provide a significant amount of the required cooling while driving. If it gets too hot for the dash air, I can run one or both of my basement airs while going down the road without running the generator.

Many CC conversions, have roof airs for cooling the house, dash air for driving and their own smaller version of OTR air when extra cooling is needed. My Marathon had Cruise Airs so it didn't have roof airs. I am not sure if CC used any Cruise Airs in their buses or not. If they did then they wouldn't have roof airs.

Whatever solar you install, you will have to deal with the curvature of the roof as shown in the picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dale farley; 08-23-2015 at 03:04 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

Kevin, I'm going to go out on a limb here and probably shoot myself in the foot but here goes.

If you are in the market for a Liberty and

Planning on being a full timer and

Wanting to do a lot of Dry Camping and

Are all about DIY,

You could be heading down the wrong road.

Just saying.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty