Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lady Antebellum's Bus Catchs Fire

Word is that the Antebellum fire was caused by: "oil seal on the hub failed, and the bearing overheated and caught fire, mostly happens on trucks and buses that have the fancy hub caps that cover the hub seal, poor pre-trip on the driver's part", as reported on the TMZ site.

I had leaking stemco hub seals on my tag axle. When I bought my bus in Kamloops, BC and stopped for service at Vancouver the techs spotted it. They said Prevost went to a new style stemco hub seal. Here's a pic of the installed new stemco cover, note the larger red breathing button:

Stemco H3 Tag.JPG

That photo is not the hub seal it is the hub cap. The seal can only be viewed by removing the cap removing the bearings removing the brake caliper and the hub itself. The seal is in the rear.

The photo does bring up another good topic. That particular hub cap can not be filled by removing the center cap like about every other manufacturer and design. It has a fill plug into the side of the cap. Trying to remove that red cap on the one in the photo will brake it. It would seem to me that if they stayed with someting more conventional and familure it would be a better choice of component.

Thanks Joe,

BTW, I do want to get together with you someday, it's just been a zoo lately. You're absolutely right, sorry for the confusion. My bus didn't require the hub seal, only the hub cap.

That hubs got too much oil in it

There's not much that gets by Joe's eagle eyes. Unless that coach is sitting an extreme angle the hub is way over full. Between the 2 rings is where it should be.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Not any more. Thanks Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    From Lady Antebellum's Facebook Page this morning:

"Hey guys, we had a crazy morning on the way to Dallas today. Our bus tire caught on fire and we had to evacuate very quickly. EVERYONE IS SAFE AND SOUND. It was me, my husband, our tour manager, and driver. Thanking God for our safety and the safety of all of those who helped put this fire out and keep us safe. Love you all!!!! ~hillary"

Here's a video (Click Here)
    "The bus was transporting bandmember Hillary Scott, her husband and her tour manager when it blew a tire, according to her post on social media."
    Michael & Debra
    04 Marathon H3-45 0851
    Matching ATC Silver Trek Stacker
    TOAD: Jeep Gladiator
    Houston, Texas