Thread: Dead Bus

Default Dead Bus

I drove from Tulsa to Northern Wyoming on Tuesday/Wednesday. I have been on shore power for a couple of days, Webasto running, everything great. Started and drove the bus earlier today, came out to start the bus and got nothing. The Ignition comes on, then goes dead. I went to the rear to listen to see if the starter would even click. When I turn on the ignition, the tail lamps light, there is a click and it goes dead, light and all. I have good voltage, no error codes on the DDEC.

Where do I start?

1998 XL45 Series 60
    VIN ending in 6110

Thanks for your help. I'm stranded in Wyoming

Jackson Whitacre
    918-640-3995
    jacksonwhitacre@gmail.com

Jackson,

Sorry about your plight. Since you are broke down, the fastest way to get back on the road is to call the Prevost Action Service System (PASS). They have excellent technicians, are always available and will walk you through troubleshooting procedures until the issue is resolved. Their number is 800-463-7738. Don't hesitate to call, you'll be glad you did. If possible, have a light and volt meter when you call. Let us know how this turns out.
    Last edited by dale farley; 12-27-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

You have a connection problem causing the loss of your ground. Could be corrosion, bad terminal, loose connection, etc. Could also be on the positive side. Don't rule out the batteries just because you have good voltage. If you are using a meter have someone try to start it while you monitor the voltage and see if it drops when the key is turned. Be sure to report back on the problem so everyone learns.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

We couldn't start ours from the chassis batteries in August. I hit the boost switch to connect the house to the chassis and got it started. After that I measured the chassis batts and the voltage was good. We checked everything and then replaced the chassis batteries and it runs great now. Our battery voltage was OK, but they wouldn't support a load.

Calling PASS is a good idea. I too would suspect the batteries. Battery voltage is a good indicator of state of charge, but can't tell you if the batteries can take a load. If not the batteries, the next check would be looking for a loose or otherwise poor battery connection or main ground.

Did you try starting from the engine bay? From here you can put a voltmeter on the batteries and see if the voltage drops to less than about 11.5V when you attempt to start the engine.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Default I think I found it.

​Looks like a bad solenoid. Have good voltage at both sides of the solenoid when the starter button is engaged. Finally resorted to 'old school shadetree' and shorted across the poles. The starter spins but won't engage. Looked up a cutaway and saw that the solenoid also mechanically pushes the starter gear into the starter ring. Going to try to remove the solenoid and see if I can make it go 'one more time'. If so, this bus aint shutting down til we get back to Tulsa.
    Thanks for all the help and making us feel like family​.
    ​Makes us proud to be Prevost people.

Jackson & Jessica Whitacre
    1998 Liberty XL-45​

You seem to have it under control. My experience with the same type of symptom was to loosen and then tighten the main bolt (positive) on the starter.... it was loose...
    Bets in your efforts...
    Pres

Jackson,

I'm glad you found the problem. A starter solenoid should be easy to source. You might want to call a Detroit shop along your route and see if you can pick one up.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

​A quick not to say thanks for all your help. After removing the solenoid and opening it up, I found a broken lead wire inside. Fortunately, it was broken (fatique) right at the connector. A quick splice, redirection of the wire, and we were back in business. A new solenoid will be installed when I get back to Tulsa. I must say that by the way the wiring is designed, I'm suprised more of them have not failed.
    In the mean time, it's COLD in Eastern Colorado...​ Currently -4 at 2:00 in the afternoon. Makes me glad the Webasto works.
    Later,​
    Jackson & Jessica​