Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New member saying hello...

Cool New member saying hello...

Hello all you wonderful folks! My name is Shannon Parker, and me and my lovely wife, Soon, are looking forward to buying a Prevost and traveling the country. We have to wait for our son to graduate high school next year, but we are looking for a coach currently. I am 39 and my wife is 36, and to be honest, since I was 5 years old I have been talking about getting a "motor home".. I kid you not. I have researched videos, studied articles online, asked questions, and have ran out of useful info regarding these wonderful machines, so I joined up to POG to read even more. I think we are going to go with a 1995-2000 XL.. Maybe Country Coach?... But Marathon and liberty are also on the radar. I did read somewhere that a gentleman purchased a coach that needed a lot of interior and exterior "work"... And afterwards he regretted not just buying a more expensive coach ready to go. I am very handy with repairing things ( I fix Apple devices for a living)... But I just don't want the coach to look "homemade"... I like the clean "5 star hotel" look. Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and let you know who we are. Have a great day, and drive safe!

Shannon, Welcome to the POG. You have come to the right place to get helpful info about Prevosts. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. Good luck with your search.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Shannon, are you aware of the POG Used Prevost Show in Tampa coming up in January ?
    Corey Grubb & George Prentice
    1999 H3-45 Vantare
    Will & Grace-fierce felines
    Cedar Hammock, FL.

The road goes on forever
    and the party never ends

Indeed I am, but we are going to CES in Las Vegas from Jan 6-9... It will be too much to do. Especially since we till be going from Colorado to Illinios for Christmas. I'll go next year however.

Hi Shannon. When looking for your Coach, the exterior paint and design should be your first choice over interior .
    It will be a lot less expensive to change and upgrade the interior.
    Many projects have been done by members so feel free to ask how to or where to find some item.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Thank you! I appreciate this tip!

Default Any more tips?

I welcome all feedback, advise and experiences in regards to buying a used coach. I am finding that I am toggling between getting a "fixer upper", or saving my pennies longer and getting one from a reputable dealer and paying the big bucks. And all points in between. I know that "it's up to me"... But I sure would like to hear other people's take on this. Also, if anyone in this forum needs any help with an Apple product, just ask me. I'm an expert with everything iPhones and iPads.. And very knowledgeable about most anything else Apple...I will gladly provide free advice. Also, anyone who ever needs help while traveling around Denver CO, give me a message and I will help if I can.

Back to coach buying..The more info and ideas, the better! Thank you all.

U will spend more than your estimates. I would not buy a fixerupper.

Get the most mechanicly sound bus u can find and there will still be numerous ways for it to seporate u from your wallet.

This item will probably be the most maintenence heavy thing u will ever own do your homework.

Purchasing from a seller who is a POGer and has been a multiple bus owner is better. Way better.

Have fun and good luck.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 12-08-2014 at 06:55 AM.

Shannon,

Joe's comments are very accurate. If you purchase a well maintained bus, you will always have something to do. It takes continual maintenance to keep a bus in good working order. If you purchase one that has been neglected, you can easily add $20,000 to $50,000 to the cost to get it up to par. Purchase one from someone who has been actively using and maintaining their bus, and you will minimize the surprises. The engine, transmission, tires, batteries, and air bags are the most significant expenses you will encounter. Most of us have never done a significant repair to our engine or transmission, but you do need to keep the oil and fluids changed.

Tires will need replacing every 5 to 7 years regardless how much tread they have. Look at the date on the side of the tires and if it is over 7 years old, assume you will have to replace them. Don't listen to anyone who tells you that the date doesn't matter.

Batteries are good for about the same time frame as tires.

Air Bags are Air Valves (as a general rule) are good for 10 to 15 years though there are many that are doing fine at 20 years old.

I don't mention these things to discourage you from purchasing a Prevost, because if properly maintained, a bus will last almost indefinitely. Nothing rides or drives like a Prevost!

By joining the POG, you have already overcome the greatest obstacle to owning a Prevost. The support you will get from this group is invaluable.

There are many great values on Prevosts on the market today, so enjoy the search, and don't settle until you find the bus you really like and the bus that fits your financial situation.

Last edited by dale farley; 12-08-2014 at 10:27 AM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post
    U will spend more than your estimates. I would not buy a fixerupper.

Get the most mechanicly sound bus u can find and there will still be numerous ways for it to seporate u from your wallet.

This item will probably be the most maintenence heavy thing u will ever own do your homework.

Purchasing from a seller who is a POGer and has been a multiple bus owner is better. Way better.

Have fun and good luck.
    Joe,You are right as long as he has not owned aircraft,I find that my bus is very reasonable compared to the last 2 aircraft that I owned.