Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reversed Polarity Indicator

Default Reversed Polarity Indicator

I am currently in a slip at the Naples Motorcoach resort. We have stayed in the same slip (same power pedestal) less than a year ago.
    I have a hard wired TRC HW-RV 50 surge guard in place and it shows no faults and is allowing power to flow through to the transfer switch.
    I do however have a "reversed polarity" indicator light showing on my interior inverter power distribution panel.
    This seems strange as my TRC documentation shows that it would shut down on reverse polarity or an open neutral.
    Can anybody think of what might cause the "reversed polarity" indicator upstream from the TRC?
    Everything appears to be functioning properly in the coach (both 120V TV/Fridge/etc. and 240V cook top as well as the charge side of the inverters).
    I do not have my 50AMP extension cable with me to plug into the adjacent pedestal to see if it rectifies the problem.
    I am reluctant to move over a slip unless somebody can think of a reason I should disconnect from this pedestal ASAP.

SurgePic.jpgpolaritypic.jpg

Chris,

Have you tried unplugging and plugging in again to see if it resets or still reads the same? Maybe it was just a glitch since your TRC isn't showing an error.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Dale, yes I have unplugged from the pedestal a few times to see if it would reset. The "Reversed Polarity" indicator light goes out as soon as I disconnect. As soon as I plug back into the pedestal the indicator lights up immediately.

I have read a post where a guy had a bad ground on a water heater (on a boat) and it caused his reverse polarity light to indicate. I am wondering if I have something similar happening with something that runs off shore power but not the inverters?

Does the voice annunciator give you a warning saying " Danger, Polarity is reversed. "

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

If you have a meter, disconnect the cable and measure the pedestal directly. I'd go from the frame (metal should be grounded) to the top and bottom. Both should be zero. Then left and right. Both should be 120. Then measure left to right. Should read 240. If they measure correctly the pedestal is wired right.

Chris, There was more to my reply this morning but for some reason it was not included in my Post. I'll try again. I had the same problem. Took months to figure it out. My voice annunciator would come on in the middle of the night and I would get up with a flashlight looking and smelling. It wasn't until it showed reversed polarity with the Generator running that I started to suspect a ground issue. My loose ground was at the ground bus bar right behind the meter panel above the door. It was actually the ground for the reversed polarity light causing the problem. There is another ground bus bar behind the TV above the drivers position.

Hope this helps.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Hi Jim, I did not pick up on your post last night and I did not have the voice messaging system turned on. I spent some time checking the ground and neutral side of all of the interior outlets on the bus as well as the chassis to be sure there was no voltage on any of them last night.

We unhooked and returned home this AM and put the bus in storage plugged into 50AMP service. The "reversed polarity" light has not indicated upon return.

I have to believe there was something going on with that pedestal in Naples. It seems strange to me the the TPC surge guard would not have picked it up but it would have appeared to have resolved itself by disconnecting from that one pedestal. I have never had it indicate before and now it does not after.

Thanks for the replies.

Jim, I think you nailed it here for us. We now have the "Reverse Polarity" indicator light on all of the time whether connected to shore power or running the generator. I am sure I have a loose ground, now I have to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by JIM KELLER View Post
    Chris, There was more to my reply this morning but for some reason it was not included in my Post. I'll try again. I had the same problem. Took months to figure it out. My voice annunciator would come on in the middle of the night and I would get up with a flashlight looking and smelling. It wasn't until it showed reversed polarity with the Generator running that I started to suspect a ground issue. My loose ground was at the ground bus bar right behind the meter panel above the door. It was actually the ground for the reversed polarity light causing the problem. There is another ground bus bar behind the TV above the drivers position.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck on this. Start with the Velcro attached gage panel above the entry door. Easy to remove and inspect. Let us know the outcome.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty