Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Fashion Power Hungry TVs

Dick,

Your TVs can not tune in digital (ATSC) broadcast. If you don't have one, you will need a converter installed in between each TV and the antenna. The Government was paying for these years ago. Today you can get them for about $40. I imagine you can find them on eBay for next to nothing. This converter is the tuner. So, to change channels you will be using the converter's remote or a programmed universal remote.

Your antenna will work. It just may not get all of the available channels. The antenna and its amplifier, if you have one, aren't tuned to the UHF were most digital broadcast are. Not long ago we did a side-by-side test with 3 coaches. The coach with the factory antenna and amp received less than a 1/4 of stations that mine did. Mine has the smallest omni-directional ATSC capable antenna. That coach got a Jack antenna replacement head and new amplifier. After this change it was receiving far more channels than mine due to its higher gain directional antenna. This cost less than $100 in parts.

In many cases, but certainly not all, a new LCD TV of adequate size will fit where the old TV is today. This was the case in my bedroom and in the fold down TV housing in a newer Marathon. I wanted more TV up front and didn't like looking to the side. So, I'm relocating the front TV and increasing its size from 20" to 40". New TVs have a 16:9 aspect ratio screen size whereas the old ones were 4:3. That means a same size screen is much smaller today because they are measured diagonally.

Good luck and happy viewing,

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil,
    When I saw your comment about the roll down screen, it made me think of a presentation at a meeting at the University of Texas Austin some time ago... I was amazed...
    Regarding the "roll down" screen you were suggesting...as you know...that is a definite potential reality for a motor coach....if we have the bags of money to acquire it...
    A few years ago, the University of Texas at Tyler, in concert with the United States Department of Defense, developed the computer that is part of a military person's shirt sleeve. It literally rolls up and can be rolled out....on the officer's sleeve...in color...just like you were suggesting about the roll down television. It is touch sensitive and has enormous capabilities. You probably already know all this but it was demonstrated to us at a meeting at the University. They developed the computer at the same time they developed the military "field tent" that has a roll out solar panel roof capable of providing a modest amount of electricity.

China, when they hosted the Olympics, used this same "computer/TV roll out concept" in their opening night when performers came into the arena and appeared to be making sweeping motions that remained on the surface on which they were performing. The entire arena was a huge computer screen that they literally rolled up at the end of the performance.

I just thought the comments about this might be of interest... there are so many of you that know more about this than I know but the technology is staggering to an economics major...
    It could be that in the future, the television will roll down just like a window shade.
    Pres

Gil. Every time I raise my "new" antennae installed by you I grin because I know if there is a tv signal to be had I am going to receive it. I have never regretted spending the extra $$ for the little signal finder either. Use it every time

Thanks again!
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Reagan,

Technology advancements made during times of armed conflict are always amazing. It's just too bad that the we tend to spend more on R&D during times of conflict.

I was once involved in some of those programs and I was always amazed at the results that came from a requirements definition. What was more amazing is how something was created of real use not previously being met and done so without a stated need.

You brought up the arm mounted flexible screen, which is really cool. Being a telecom guy, the more amazing part of that display is how information is delivered to it. There was a time when the network was a major factor in these kinds of systems. Today the network is simply expected to be there. It takes a lot more than the two geeks on the at&t commercial to develop and build an effective network.

Gil and Durlene

I have seen solar fabrics. The back of curtins the flaps of womans purses ect ect.

Thought it would work on the top side of awnings very well. Have been surprised I havent seen more about the product seemed like it would be very appealing to the public.

Joe,

Most solar systems can't pay for themselves. There okay if you are parked without power and need a trickle charger. Otherwise, unless you just want an alternative to fossil fuel, they don't make economic sense.

I'd like a see a total cost versus power generated chart for all of the alternative power sources. I think even the environmentally friendly folks will be surprised how long it takes before power generated from these alternative sources tips the scale in favor of these alternative sources. Many forget that these alternative sources cost big money, require elastic storage capabilities (batteries) in some cases, and require hazardous material mining and production (lead). I'm in awe of some of the large scale wind farms I've seen in the US and Canada. Each generator is expensive, most are shipped from Europe, they require a huge investment is transmission lines, and their on-going maintenance costs must be high.

Standing on my soapbox, I'll tell you I'm so disappointed that the DoE and the do-nothing Congress hasn't had the intelligence to approach nuclear power the exact same way they did when they formed the Tennessee Valley Authority. It was hydro then, nuclear now. Government funded and contracted nuclear power plants is the right approach. These plants would then be managed by commercial contractors. Again, look at the TVA and it's transformation into what it is today from what it originally was. Okay, I'll step down.

Gil and Durlene

Interesting. I always thought the TVA monitored only old fashioned hydro facilities. Belonging to POG is like advanced education.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Although the TVA does operate nuclear power plants, that's not what I meant to say. I was just suggesting that if the government approached nuclear power like they did hydro power we would, in my opinion, have plenty of safe nuclear power production.

I saw an interesting alternative fuels commentary today. A professor from MIT has developed a battery that cost 1/10 of what a lithium does. That's good, this is better. It can be fully discharged every day and still maintain 99% of its original capacity after 25 years in service. Those claims can change the amount of necessary power production we need from the grid. We don't have a power shortage today. Why we need more power is to meet demand times, not average use. These batteries could be installed in all buildings to cover the peak use times without increasing the demand on the grid.

Gil and Durlene

Natural gas. Its almost limitless and can power just about anything.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

The large tv in the front of my bus isnt even a TV it is just a monitor?
    Not sure how it even comes out it still looks great though,
    Out side i would like a flat-screen mounted on a slide to drop down out of a open bay door, has anyone seen this set up?

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!