Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: roof water leak

Question roof water leak

We have a non-slide 2001 royale. There is a water leak which presents itself in the window treatments behind the drivers seat and back to the galley. We have resealed the horizontal seam on the roof on that side, but after the last rain, the window treatments were soaked again. We would appreciate all suggestions. He cannot SEE where the water is coming from. Thanks

Water leaks can be one of the hardest things to find. Prevost uses a huge high volume blower to pressurize the coach. Then they do the soapy water treatment to any potential leak area. If you have Prevost OTR air it's possible to create enough pressure to do the same.

Based on where the leak comes into the coach, the orgin can be anywhere on that half of the coach. Basically, anywhere that gravity could lead the water to where it's visible. This could include the seams and rivets of the front and rear caps. It could be from the roof air gaskets, if you have roof air. Any roof penetration on that side of the coach has to be suspect.

If the leak wasn't limited when it rains, the roof air drains can also be the source.

Sometimes it can help to have an inspection camera. They have a camera on a flexible shaft that's a couple feet long. It may be possible to get it into the ceiling through vents or lighting housing and find the water trail.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

If u have OTR A/C there is a simple way to pressurize the bus to soap up seams to check for leaks. Just open the bay door for the evaporator on the drivers side while the ac is on. Its that simple. Insead of the 2 blowers in there recuirculating the air they pressurize the cabin with a huge amount of outside air.

Try the marker light over the driver window.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

I wonder how much air pressure/volume you actually need to locate a leak by pressurizing the inside of the bus and using soap to find the leak? I tired it one time with a large vacuum cleaner (using the output of the air), and that didn't work.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Dale,

It takes a lot. You have to overcome the natural leaks and then have enough pressure to pressurized the leaks, many of which can be real small. It's important to seal all natural vents, like the fresh air intake for the dash air. I know the blower that Prevost uses is huge!

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I wonder if there is any type fan other than one made for this purpose that would work?
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Sure Dale what prevo uses is a blower out of a residential fan forced gas furnace. Mounted on a tall dolly so it can be rolled up to the drivers window Then sealed up with a soft thick foam gasket.

Do u haul trash to the dump ever people replacing furnaces all the time. Or keep your eyes open for a discarded furnace at the curb and pull the blower. I have a couple in my garage for fans they crank they r quiet and they were free.

I have watched this leak detection system used at Prevost. The blower is crude and made in their shop but works great. Like Joe said, they roll it up to the drivers window and turn it on. Spray the Bus with a soapy solution from a two gallon tank sprayer and watch the bubbles appear. When finished the Bus is all ready for a wash job !

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by amigomillers View Post
    We have a non-slide 2001 royale. There is a water leak which presents itself in the window treatments behind the drivers seat and back to the galley. We have resealed the horizontal seam on the roof on that side, but after the last rain, the window treatments were soaked again. We would appreciate all suggestions. He cannot SEE where the water is coming from. Thanks
    Any update on this Post ? Resolutions of problems help all Members.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty