Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transmission won't shift out of first gear.

Default Transmission won't shift out of first gear.

Hello everyone, I'm back! Would prefer not to be posting a problem but unfortunately I am. I used my coach yesterday and it ran just fine. Then I got in it today and pulled out of the parking lot and it would not shift out of first gear. I did noticed the speedometer was not working.

This happen to me one time before, the day after I purchased the coach. I had been traveling and pulled over for lunch and I turned the engine off. When I went to leave, it would not change gears. I pulled over turn the engine off and started it several times over 30 minutes and for some reason it corrected itself and away we went. That was 5000 miles ago and we have never had a problem with it again until today. The coach has 57,000 miles on it.

I might also add that the first time it happen we had the transmission looked at and there we're no fault codes and no one could give us an answer as to why it happened.

So if anyone can help it would greatly be appreciated. I have had several things go wrong and POG has been a big help in getting them fixed. Thank you guys for your suggestions and expertise.

BB.
    2006 Country Coach XL11.

Bob, I would give Prevost's hot line (PASS) a call. They should be able to shed some light on the problem.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Bob,

I too would call PASS and likely follow that up with a call to Allison.

Based on your symptoms it sounds like it could be the transmission's speed sensor or bad connection to the speed sensor. Given this happened once before and then went away, would lead me to check the connectors. I'm not sure if the transmission even stores codes or for that make raises a code for failed transmission speed sensor.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

That is one of those issues that has a guy asking. Why in the world would a engine with a computer not throw a code when something that serious is going on? That is wrong on about 10 different levels.

We will all be interested in what caused that.

Thanks for the feed back. Another learning experience. Gil, you were right, it was the speed sensor. FYI, the transmission does store codes on the shifter. If you push the two arrows at the same time, the light on the shifter will start flashing a set of numbers which will explain what is wrong.

Thanks again for everyones help.

BB

Bob, Good to hear you found the problem. Where is the sensor located? Was it an expensive fix?
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

I have no idea where it is located. I had a shop here in Dallas diagnose it and they fixed it. I got on the phone with Prevost and they walked me thru the system to see if any codes showed up which it did. They recommended the shop. The charge was $800.

BB

Bob, what shop did this to you?

The speed sensor is located on the upper side of the transmission and you need to get the bus in the air or off the ground some to reach up and change it. Prevost Mira loma did mine and it had a bucking action when up shifting from start. My bill was under 300.00 dollars.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

Bob,
    Which service center worked on your transmission? Have you taked your Prevost to the Cummins Care off of I-20 in Grand Prairie? Thanks
    Reese

Bernie,

This reminds me of a throttle position sensor replacement I did while in Vegas. I bought the insanely over priced TPS from the local Detroit shop. I later discovered the part was a fraction of the price from Prevost. I guess the Detroit shop figures they have a captured customer whereas Prevost passes along their volume discount for non Prevost specific parts.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion