Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Michelin Tires...Maybe Not

Pete, No help from Southern Tire. They are 350 to 400 miles from me. Thanks anyway. Still researching price, rubber compound, construction, country of origin and price. I was shocked to find out China builds tires for almost all the tire manufactures. www.camrunrubbergroup.en.alibaba.com.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

I think most active members will not be happy till they beat their brains out and empty a significant amount of the wallet persisting to end up with Mr Michelin.

If a guy can afford what is perceived to be the best I certainly would not fault that person for going after it.

Jim noticed " I was shocked to find out China builds tires for almost all the tire manufactures."

IMO the name on the side of the tire dictates the cost more than anything else.

No offense to any other opinions I just find it important to voice a differing one on this issue since I find nobody else doing it.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 07-25-2014 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    I have been wanting new drives and finally decided to put new michelin XZA2 on in early spring. Using the FMCA michelin advantage program the cost would be about the same as other brands regular retail price. I contacted a local dealer, Zeigler Tire Co. in Youngstown, OH and was told 4 to 6 weeks wait. Time went on and then it was another 4 to 6 weeks wait. Then another 4 to 6 weeks waiting period. Yesterday i decided i wasn't going to wait for Michelin and ordered Goodrich ST 230s. They were to be installed this Friday. This morning my salesman called and said the michelins just arrived. They had a manufacturer date of July, 2014. So Friday, after a several months wait I will have new Michelin drives.

I had to call and resubmit my credit card info since it is only good for 30 days and several months had past since I began this tedious process. I had heard that FMCA had a program with B F Goodrich since they are owned by Michelin but that is not true according to FMCA. The price for the Goodrich tire was $639 plus sales tax and mounting while the michelins were $628.83 plus sales tax and mounting per tire. Using the Michelin Advantage Program reduces the price to what the others are, if you can wait for the tires to be manufactured.

Updates will follow after I have the tires installed on Friday.

Denny, how did you make out with your tire order and installation ?

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Quote Originally Posted by JIM KELLER View Post
    Denny, how did you make out with your tire order and installation ?

Everything went well and was well worth the wait. The tires were ordered in April, arrived last week and were manufactured week 20 of 2014. I had Equal balance put in each tire rather than spin balance with wheel weights. Very happy with the improved ride. I normally have 110 psi in the fronts ( I've upgraded to 365) and 100 in drives and tags. I went to the scale to reweigh and found that I can reduce the air pressure in all tires to further enhance the ride. Using the FMCA michelin advantage program, the price was $10 per tire less then the regular price of B F Goodrich tires. FMCA billed my credit card yesterday and the price was as exactly as quoted. Installation was $35 per tire plus equal and new valve stems.

There was a 4 inch gash on the inside of one of the old tires which could not be seen from a visual inspection looking directly at the tires. This stresses how important it is to closely inspect the inner sidewalls of all tires particularly the duals This tire could have easily blown out under normal driving and causing thousands of dollars in damages.

Denny,

If Ruth Ann is happy with the ride, don't be in a hurry to reduce air pressure. If you really want to, make sure you weigh each wheel position. Although most converters did a pretty good on left/right balancing, they have no idea how our coaches will be loaded. I think the worse case I've seen on a Prevost conversion is nearly 1,000 pounds different right to left on the same axle with most being under 500 pounds different. Also, make sure the coach is the heaviest it will be when travelling when you weigh it.

I think folks would be surprised how much affect high tire pressure has on safety and tire life. Some will argue that higher pressures will lead to increased thread wear on the center of the thread. That's simply not the case with a few extra pounds of pressure. Take a look at the sidewall between the wheel and the road. I'm pretty sure you will see the sidewall squash even with a few extra pounds.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

A rep from DOT will be at the St. Louis Rally on Monday morning and will be available to weigh each wheel of our buses, so that should give us an accurate figure for determining the right pressure for each axle. I know I am currently running a little more than what I have to, but I agree with Gil's logic on tire pressures.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Looks like it is going to be Firestone FS400 tires for me. Made by Bridgestone in Tennessee. Load range " L " a 75 mph tire. No luck with Michelin's in my neck of the woods.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Gil, ok you convinced me to keep the pressure where it is at. Pressures are about 10 psi more than the Michelin chart calls for to compensate for any errors in the weights since I did an axle weigh rather than a four point weigh. I understand the importance of a four point weigh. I had a new 2000 country coach intrigue with one slide and there was a 1500 lbs difference between the driver side and the passenger side. This was a major problem on motor homes with slides and cost CC a lot of money to replace tires and change front end design.

The end of the story. Found 8 Michelin XZA2 Energy Tires at TCI in Orlando. $ 5469.00 for the tires incl all taxes and $ 600.00 mounting and balancing. $ 6069.00 total out the door. No hill for a climber !

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Great ending, Jim.