Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michelin Tires...Maybe Not

The search continues. Seems as though Michelin is 6 to 8 weeks out on back orders. Same statement since February. Bridgestone and Continental seem to be at the top of the list for consideration. Bridgestone makes a tire that seems perfect for our industry but they only lease them. Not available for purchase. Bridgestone owns Firestone and their FS 400 looks like a good fit. Michelin owns BF Goodrich and their ST 230 is under review. Calling FMCA to see if they have a program to supplement the cost on BF Goodrich like they have for Michelin. Having trouble with finding Continental participation.

As I continue to research this topic a company called " Simple Tire.com " comes up. This company will deliver all 8 tires to my location way under the qouted prices of tire stores. A Road Service company could be dispatched to install all the tires on the spot. I Originally wanted to purchase my tires from a tire dealer that mounted the tires with a machine. I thought that would reduce the chances of wheel scratches. The more facilities I talk to the more I am finding out they simply call in the Road Side Service companies to mount the tires at their facilities. If they don't use an outside source they still break them down and mount them on the ground.

Looking for some feed back on this post.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Jim,

I too was surprised when I bought my tires from Fleet Tires in Knoxville through the FMCA program. They did the mounting in house, but they broke them down on the ground.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Jim believe it or not ive been holding back from comment as best I could. But now I will.

Just had the same conversation with Denny.

U said " This company will deliver all 8 tires to my location way under the quoted prices of tire stores"

Ahhhhhhhhh a whiff of fresh air. I learned to shop for price first and foremost when I was buying tires for my tractor trailer.

When I first bought it I bought good shoes then I moved to off brands

There was no difference in mileage or durability

Will admit the recent deal with FMCA was a hell of a deal If I needed tires thru that period id probably would have tried to afford the Michelins but that seems to be gone.

Go and get the best price u can get for whatever it is for your tag axle and try some I believe U will be more than satisfied.

I would NEVER do any tire thing without first removing all your wheel jewelry yourself and putting it back yourself.

Make the tire guy use a torque stick.

A quick search found 315-80s for 359.95 20 ply all position.

U all R probably not speeding to hard or too often . Nobody drives your bus but U so U know if U might curb one. U R probably very conscious of your tire pressures. Store the bus inside and the bottom half of the tread depth will never even hit the road before they age out.

All adds up to be a decent candidate for a lesser known brand.

Lewbucks
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 07-22-2014 at 10:20 AM.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Jim, try Southern Tire Mart. They have locations all over the south, and south east. They have several brands. That is where I got my Continentals.

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

Whenever U remove an outer duel and wont be removing the inner duel U NEVER NEVER put that outer duel back on unless the inner nuts r first checked for tight.

U folks with the new rims without inner nuts Will not have to deal with this at all.

If U cant spin the nuts up BY HAND, all the way to the seat of the rim. If after inspecting the stud to be fine, throw any nut that wont right in the garbage.

Thanks Pete, trying them now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Jim, try Southern Tire Mart. They have locations all over the south, and south east. They have several brands. That is where I got my Continentals.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

I have been wanting new drives and finally decided to put new michelin XZA2 on in early spring. Using the FMCA michelin advantage program the cost would be about the same as other brands regular retail price. I contacted a local dealer, Zeigler Tire Co. in Youngstown, OH and was told 4 to 6 weeks wait. Time went on and then it was another 4 to 6 weeks wait. Then another 4 to 6 weeks waiting period. Yesterday i decided i wasn't going to wait for Michelin and ordered Goodrich ST 230s. They were to be installed this Friday. This morning my salesman called and said the michelins just arrived. They had a manufacturer date of July, 2014. So Friday, after a several months wait I will have new Michelin drives.

I had to call and resubmit my credit card info since it is only good for 30 days and several months had past since I began this tedious process. I had heard that FMCA had a program with B F Goodrich since they are owned by Michelin but that is not true according to FMCA. The price for the Goodrich tire was $639 plus sales tax and mounting while the michelins were $628.83 plus sales tax and mounting per tire. Using the Michelin Advantage Program reduces the price to what the others are, if you can wait for the tires to be manufactured.

Updates will follow after I have the tires installed on Friday.

Wow, July manufacturing date...the tires may still be warm.

Good to hear they are hitting the stores. However, it doesn't make sense that dealers haven't been told their orders are being filled.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil,
    The tires showed up today without any prior notice. It's a crime the dealers aren't kept informed of production or status of orders.

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    Wow, July manufacturing date...the tires may still be warm.
    I wonder if the tires have had enough time to cure.