Thread: Brake controller to tow a heavy trailer (11,000#) with

Default Brake controller to tow a heavy trailer (11,000#) with

​What kind of trailer brake controller do you guys use to tow a heavy trailer (11,000#)?

I understand there are new controllers for pickups and HD SUVs that have hydraulic brakes which sense the amount of pressure and apply the trailer ​brakes accordingly.

I currently pull the race trailer with a Suburban. The controller applies the brakes to the trailer progressively based on the amount of time the brakes are applied, I do have control over how fast it applies them. This is fine for the Suburban because I can feel the trailer pulling the Suburban "back" and will release the brakes an instant if I think the trailer is trying to stop the Suburban. If I lightly touch the brakes for a long period of time I think I could probably lock the trailer brakes up.

Obviously in a 45' Prevost I won't be able to feel the trailer pulling the bus back. When we rented a 40' CC with a brake controller I set it at close to the slowest setting and tried to remember to release the brakes once in a while.

Is there a trailer brake​ controller for the Prevost that can sense how hard I'm applying the brakes and brake the trailer accordingly?

That's an Intresting question. I have never towed a trailer that heavy. Mine is about 6500# and it has surge brakes. I do know you probably don't want to apply and release air brakes frequently. Each application and release drops your brake service air pressure by some amount. You don't want to get yourself in a position where your Emergency spring brakes apply automatically. I suspect in the Midwest this would not ever be a problem but if you were out in the mountains it might of increased concern.

Hey Dick, I pull a 26 foot 12000# trailer behind my bus. I have always used the Prodigy Brake Controller. It senses how hard you are braking and applies the trailer brakes accordingly. Like you said, you won't be able to feel it behind your bus, but it has a digital display so you can visually see how much it is applying.

Alan & Kim Riley
    Colleyville, Tx
    Ouray, Co
    2001 Marathon XLII #670
    2012 4 Door Jeep Rubicon
    2008 Jeep Wrangler w/ Hemi