Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riveted Prevost and Slides

Default Riveted Prevost and Slides

Hi There,
    New to the forum(Thanks Gil and Dale !), I am in the hunt for a Prevost. I think I have it narrowed down. Definitely a 40 footer due to space constraints at home, riveted, and no slide or one slide. My question is: When did Prevost stop making riveted coaches?, and when did Prevost start making their own slides? I understand that 1997 and forward was front ISS, any other significant innovations that are noteworthy? Thanks Wayne

My understanding is that the last XL's (Riveted sides) were produced in 1999 as a 1999 chassis. Not sure on when Provost introduced their own slide but it was definately later than 2000.

Hi Wayne. My Prevost has 2- factory slides and it is a 2002 chassis. I believe they produced a single slide in 2001.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

I have a 2000 riveted but your right it was built in 99,
    HWH have put slides in way longer than Prevost and I have a 17 ft HWH hydraulic slide installed at conversion and I love it 14 yrs old and knock wood still works great ,
    You need to actually open the door when you put it in or out or you could blow a window out of the coach dispersing that much air fairly quickly,
    I like the wipers on the slide some of the new buses, ( I know I might catch a little crap ) have the bladder system and I know a few personal friends that are on there third one torn !
    That is fine if you have I am strictly guessing around $5000.00 for repairs, I wonder how many you could go through in 14 or 15 yrs ???
    Sometimes I think newer isn't always better ???

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!

Larry makes a great point.

There was a time before Prevost slides where Prevost participated in factory installation of someone else's slides. Maybe Valid or HWH.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

So ,how does that work? Does Prevost install a HWH slide? Does the converter install the slide? Is the Prevost shell taken to HWH and installed there?

I have been to HWH to have slide work done on a Foretravel I had several years ago and saw 2 Prevosts there having slides installed. They were just shells then going to the converter.

Prevost installs slides as far as I know. Valid was Prevost approved. You won't have a problem with Valid or Prevost slides either way. In the downturn a lot of crazy stuff happened so I can't verify all of this but what I do know is my friend wanted to order a 3 slide bath and a half in an X-3 and he was told the converter needed to order 5 shells with 3 slides to get that. A converter won't order 5 shells at a time for 1 customer to get 3 slides in an X. So another converter told us it was a nice way of them saying no, you can't do that. The bladder system in Prevost slides is almost bullet proof when operated correctly. Of course you can have problems with anything but I put my money on Prevost slides.
    Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

From what I have been led to believe is that our 1999 XL shell was delivered to Country Coach by Prevost. Country Coach in turn had two slides installed by Rogue River prior to the conversion (They were in close proximity to each other). Our slides are pressure seals like the perimeter of a refrigerator door (no swipes or bladders) and are electric motor and gear driven. We have not had any issues to date with our slides other than having to replace one of our pneumatic slide lock solenoids.

IMHO if I was looking for a 10 to 14 year old bus my concerns about who made the slides is a non issue as long as it has a clean history. Finding out how and who took care of it would and should be the number one priority.
    I don't know if I got off the thread or not, sorry.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker