Thread: First trip out West with grandkids

Default First trip out West with grandkids

We are planning to take our kids and grandkids out west for the first time. We bought a Prevost Featherlite and would love to have input as to best place to stay outside Yellowstone and Jackson Hole and Mt. Rushmore. Any tips of best places to see and where to stay would be appreciated. We plan on spending several months and fly the kids back and forth. We will be towing a Tahoe for day trips. Canada is also of interest. Thanks, Jerry Nutt

Hey Jerry welcome to the asilum. Now we have Nutts to go along with the Hicks who by the way have a royal and live in Cal.

Have u ever driven anything air brake. Did the seller take u thru a pretrip air brake check so that u understand how to do it yourself?

There r no stupid questions here hope we can be some help when u need it.

Jerry,

Yellowstone normally opens around the end of April/May. They don't clear the snow until around that time. Paulette and I spent three summers there (2008,2009 2010), and when we arrived the first year in May, they had just cleared 2-8 feet of snow from the roads. The shots below were made 10 May 08.

Unless they have just added something new, there are no RV spots in YNP that will accommodate a 45' bus. The park of choice is Yellowstone Grizzly RV Part, just 4 blocks outside the West entrance to the Park. Their # is 406-646-4466. There is another park (Yellowstone Park KOA) that will handle 45' rvs, but they are 6 miles from the West entrance (406-646-7606). It is very convenient to stay at the West entrance and go into the Park on a daily basis. If you have never been there, you will be pleasantly surprised. There is no other spot like it in the U.S.

Here a couple links with good info about Yellowstone. http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...ht=yellowstone
    http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...ht=yellowstone
    Attached Thumbnails

Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

I agree that Grizzly in West Yellowstone is the best place to stay on that side of the park. Almost at the park's western entrance.

I don't know your route, but would suggest Moab on your way to or from Florida. If you can time it right, the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is awesome for both young and old. Staying in perimeter of the balloon grounds is the very best place. Wake up to balloons taking flight from your front windshield.

I can't recommend a CG near Mt Rushmore, but do suggest you add Mammoth Dig Site to your day trips, http://mammothsite.com/

There so much to see and do in this great country. Sometimes great sites and events are simply stumbled upon as we continue our journey. Because of the unplanned experiences, a schedule with flexibility really helps. We went from FL to AK one year and the only hard date we had was the Balloon Fiesta.

Have fun!

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Hands down, the best campground for Mt. Rushmore, CrazyHorse, Badlands etc is Elkhorn Ridge. KOA in Rapid City is also doable.
    Corey Grubb & George Prentice
    1999 H3-45 Vantare
    Will & Grace-fierce felines
    Cedar Hammock, FL.

The road goes on forever
    and the party never ends

I have the bus at Donnie Meyers in Sanford and they are servicing it and doing some updates. They are going to give me a day of instruction/information prior to leaving their dealership. I appreciate your question about air brake systems and will ask them about it. I have never used air brakes. Thanks for your input.

I agree with Corey on Elkhart Ridge for Mt. Rushmore and the surrounding area. We were there this past summer and loved it.
    Towson Engsberg
    2006 Legendary XLii DS