Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Antifreeze

I use the regular green old style and if it does not have DD on it that's OK just be sure its a low silicon type and it will be on the jug somewhere.

IMO the industry has confounded and confused the issue while lining their pockets with the extended life. And the orange and the blue or whatever ridiculous colors they have added to the field. I never did it. Cat has 2 different additive to their extended brew. One is an activator one is a extender. I still have those 2 bottles on a shelf somewhere never went that way.

So what if U need to drain it every 3 or 4 years the process is 1/5 the time needed to change over like Dale described.

DD includes the charge right in the product but U do not HAVE to use DD brand antifreeze . The additive can be purchased and added to any Green low silicon mix. U can keep it that way going forward with coolant filters with differing charge rates based on what a test strip tells U.

Another thing. IMO 50/50 mix right out of the bottle in any form is not something I never buy. I will add water from the tap instead of paying the price of antifreeze for it. amazing they can even sell that stuff and get the same money for it as 100% antifreeze.

Here is what I used in all my engines Cat DD Mack Cummins . Added this to off the shelf low silicon regular green.

Old Photos II 804.jpg

Old Photos II 805.jpg

On a service that Im replacing old it usually requires 10 or 12 bottles to get the mix correct. Then when doing oil changes test strip the coolant and replace the coolant filter with the correct corresponding charge that the test strips indicated. The filters come with 2 units charge or 4 units or 6 units ect ect.

Orange antifreeze ....................sheesh come on purple .......... really
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 02-12-2014 at 08:39 AM.

I need to find a local source for whatever I'm going to use. MY closest DD dealer is about 70 miles away. I didn't know the filters actually came with different charges.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Detroit Diesel Power Cool is exactly the same (and made by Peak Products) as Fleet Charge.
    The "Power Cool Plus" which is Detroit's extended life coolant, is the same as and made for DD by Peak as well, named Final Charge.
    These can both be obtained by local Ryder/Fleet Products or Fleet Pride distributors, as well as through a lot of Napa stores. If the Napa doesn't have either, they can order it for you and don't charge for the freight if you do in-store pickup. Hope this helps.
    Ben Cummings
    U.S.A. Luxury Coaches, LLC
    Clearwater, FL

Thanks Ben. That is helpful.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale,

Take a look at this thread http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/...hlight=coolant

I don't know where the reference document is, but it was written by an expert. Just because it's okay for your engine doesn't make it okay for everything else using the coolant.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil,

I have read several articles on the internet today (of course if its on the internet, it has to be true) and there seems to be a large camp on each side of the issue. I went to a local trucking this morning (Ward International) to get a filter, and I asked about antifreeze. They said they have pretty much gone exclusively to Fleetrite ECL. They use a pump to expedite the flushing of the system when changing from regular to ECL. At this time, I still plan to go with the regular.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale,
    I went with replacing the regular with extended life a year ago. As I didn't have the place to flush the old out I attempted to have it done. Without naming the first firm where I ATTEMPTED to have it done (current major sponsor) I will say I refused to pay them for their attempt. I was paying by the hour, directing the mechanic on how I wanted it done without a lot of success. It got late, I got tired of dancing, had them button it up and took it to Stuart Stevenson where it was done under my supervision and to my satisfaction. If I knew the aggravation I would have to go through I would have passed.
    Having said all this I would suggest that if you are as particular as I am and you want the advantage of the extended life do it yourself as you did on your last bus or make life simple and replace what you have with similar. MY TWO CENTS

Patrick, I agree 100%.
    Dale & Paulette

DD told me to use their product, But they also recommend Shell zone they also said that shell makes power cool for DD.
    always remember DD uses the lowest bidder, they change once a year to get the lowest bidder to make their products.
    SEA YA

Another question about quantities. When I changed my antifreeze in the last bus, (99 CC), I drained everything I could from every port in the bus. I also drained the Wabasto and the dash heat system. I got a total of 18 gallons from the system. I see the Detroit maintenance manual says the capacity is 24 gallons. Has anyone been able to drain that much antifreeze out or put that much in their system?
    Dale & Paulette