Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Antifreeze

Since I had no local source for Power Cool, I purchased 12 gallons (concentrated) at W W Williams in Montgomery. No, I didn't drive to Montgomery just to get the antifreeze, I was already there for other reasons. The Prevost Maintenance manual says the bus holds 24 gallons, so I should be safe although I don't think it will take that much. The manager at Williams said Power Cool Plus(PCP) is all they stock and all they have used now for 8 years. He said they use it in all DD applications including RV's and have never had a problem of any kind. They had 260 gallons in stock. Similar ELC's were about $26 a gallon at my local auto stores, so I feel good that I got the original PCP for $17 a gallon. Now if I just had someone to flush the system multiple times in preparation for the switch over!
    Last edited by dale farley; 03-18-2014 at 11:35 AM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

I started draining/flushing my antifreeze today so I can replace with Power Cool Plus Extended Life. Since I am not really sure how the Aqua Hot works, I am wondering if I need to do anything special to drain it. My understanding is that it has a closed system with its own antifreeze, but does the engine antifreeze also run through some part of it?
    Dale & Paulette

Some AH also have an engine coolant loop. Engine coolant does not run to the inside heat exchangers. So, very little engine coolant is actually in the AH. It heats the domestic water and the AH can preheat the engine.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Dale Let me try to explain the exchangers.

There R 2 . I is an internal exchanger the loop for the engine and it is inside the boiler. If U R driving the 60series water pump is circulating engine antifreeze weather U want or not it is constant. It transfers heat to the boiler water that in turn transfers heat to the loop for the domestic hot water that is a 1/2 in copper line that is wrapped tightly around the outside of the boiler tank.

If U R parked and want to preheat the engine U have to reverse the heat transfer by heating the boiler with the electric element or with the burner and also turn on the seporate switch for the engine loop. That turns on a 4th circulating pump in the aquahot for circulating that loop in this mode and instead of the engine loop heating the boiler water the boiler water heats the engine loop instead. Pretty clever they utilize heat transfer both ways for this aspect weather U r driving or parked.

That's how the exchangers work. On a side note.

There R also a pair of slowly rotating paddles inside the boiler that keeps the heated water moving around. If it didnt the boiler water close to the boiler wall would cool down way quicker than the core and the paddles help the unit to be way more efficient with them.

According to their tech if these paddles were not slowly circulating the heated boiler water the system works vey very poorly it is a quite important piece of the puzzle.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 03-21-2014 at 08:06 AM.

Thanks Gil and Joe. I am assuming most of it will drain and be flushed during the 5 flushes I intend to do on the system.
    Dale & Paulette

Dale, I wouldn't it be easy enough to disconnect the hoses at the engine for dash heat and the AH and run clean water through them? Once flushed connect the hose returning to the engine and fill the line and then reattach the other hose for each?

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil,

I took the hose off yesterday and energized the 24 volt servo to drain the dash heater. I will do that each time I fill and drain the system. Since I couldn't talk Paulette into getting in that drawer behind the front bumper, I removed it by taking out the screws.
    Dale & Paulette

I came across this from the Peak antifreeze final charge- Too good to be true- no flushing- converts old to extended. anybody have this experience? I have read many posts most say change regular coolant every two years, a few will or have flushed to then put in EC-1 compliant.

Q: My truck is using a conventional coolant, and I would like to change to FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Coolant/Antifreeze. How do I convert my truck?A: With the FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Extended Life Coolant Fleet Conversion Program, you can convert a truck using conventional or fully formulated coolants to FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Coolant/Antifreeze without having to drain, flush and refill the cooling system. At the center of this program is FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Converter. FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Converter is formulated with a special blend of FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Coolant/Antifreeze’s patented Organic Acid Technology (OAT) inhibitors with Contamination Tolerant Additives. A one-time dose of FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Converter is specifically formulated to convert properly maintained cooling systems using conventional or fully formulated coolants meeting ASTM D-4985, ASTM D-6210 or TMC RP-329 to FINAL CHARGE GLOBAL Coolant/Antifreeze’s patented formula.
    John Dyer
    1996 Marathon 45 with IFS

I would call the manufacture of Final Charge Global ... a place to start. In my experience you do not mix different types / brands and always change coolant filter once a year.
    AL
    Last edited by BoaterAl; 08-29-2018 at 10:13 AM.

OWI in Illinois makes both Final Charge Global and DD power cool. Let's just say they are cousin's. Not that I have family that works there (wink,wink) or anything like that.