Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Alison Tranny Retarder vs Jake Brake

You want the downshift, that's where your going to get the most bang for the buck by high rpm's. If you have one that doesn't downshift to 4th gear (depending on speed) someone has had the program changed.

Truk,

I'm not so sure. My Jake on the first coach required a manual downshift and in retrospect I prefer that. At highway speeds my RPM would be more than adquate for most downhill driving. If I knew the grade was steep I then had the option of slowing down a little and dropping to a lower gear.

The retarder on the current coach automatically downshifts so I find myself leaving the switch on so I have retarder when braking, but I manually pull the little lever into the #1 or #2 position if I want the retarder to come on when coasting, like going downhill or approaching an exit. Otherwise I leave it off.

What I don't like about it downshifting automatically is if I am on cruise control, every time the cruise closes the throttle the brain thinks the retarder needs to come on so it downshifts, and then when the highway levels or goes up a little the transmission hangs in the lower gear for longer than I want it to. Up, down, up, down. It's like it is hunting.

My jake would not operate with the cruise on on the old coach.

Thanks guys for the replys. From what I am hearing I believe that my jake braking operation was changed. It works with the cruise on, which I want, and I can feel it work but only a little currently so I will have someone get in and check the set up of this system and evaluate.

To have it serviced at DD or Alison what exactly are they servicing? The DDEC IV computer or something else. In other words is it a computer controlled issue or mechanincal adjustment?

Thanks Again.

Gary S.

Gary, an Allison dealer can set & verify the transmission parameters via a lap top. You can have the transmission programed to try to down shift to a specific gear when the throttle is released & the Jake is on. Typically, you will see them set to try to get to 4TH gear. There are also solenoids in the valve train of the engine that can fail, or not fully engage. These can be checked by a Detroit shop.
    Steve & Rhonda Bennett
    Dana Point, CA
    92 Marathon XL40
    2012 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
    Owner: California Coach Company, LLC

When I was in FL picking up my bus, the technician mentioned that you can have the jake brake setup for "aggressive" mode. I don't know if this is fact or not, but I wouldn't be surprised, since as Steve indicated they are programmable.

My new coach, and as I remember none of my previous coaches automatically downshifted. I have to manually downshift in areas where I want more braking.

Ray

Southern Pines, NC (next door to Pinehurst)

Default Braking Systems - NC Style

Awhile back I was stopped at a traffic signal. Yes it was red and had been for many seconds. Just before the signal turned green, I feel a thump on the rear bumper of my 1996 Lincoln Town Car. Now this is the third time I have been rear ended. I did not know my rear end was so very attractive!

Anyway, I get out and approach the offending vehicle. It is being driven by a little old lady, not from Pasadena, but a retiree from Whispering Pines. She causually rolled down her window and proceeded to say, " But I was slowing down." I could not help myself. I told her that was fine but my rear bumper was NOT part of her vehicle's braking system.

Life goes on.

Later ...

After having had a transmission retarder on our previous coaches that worked flawlessly, I was not to happy when my wife picked our current coach which has a 2 stage engine brake. After being told by Prevost I could have a transmission retarder added for approx. $ 20k, I decided to proceed, the price tripled; then they concluded it couldn't be done because of cooling consideration. My son suggested I go to Penn Detroit Diesel in Ocala. I bet the tech a lunch he could not improve the stopping characteristics to match a transmission retarder. Happily I lost the bet!! It took 18 minutes after he hooked up his laptop...he let me modify the transmission profile. He explained to me that they reprofile many entertainer & converter coaches from activate on 6th gear only to as many gears the driver prefers. When I took the coach back to Marathon (FL). The techs (several of whom had brought the coach to NC) drove the coach and were amazed at the difference in how the coach stopped.

Reposted for revelancy.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!