Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ENCLOSED TRAILERING LEGAL ISSUES 45 FT PLUS 25 FEET + 70 FEET . OVER 5 FEET???

Gil...
    Glad I'm married to a lawyer... he knows everything too !!
    Diane

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by coreygrubb View Post
    Kevin, We have towed race car haulers, originally with toter-homes and more recently wth a coach tens of thousands of miles. they ranged anywhere from 70 to 82'. Never been stopped. For awhile we used semi's and had more scrutiny(weigh stations, saftey checks etc.) than with anything else. Present length is 82' and never a problem so far. Have not towed in Calif. for 10 yr. though. We go the speed limit or under and stay in our lane as much as possible.
    I can attest to the length of George and Corey's bus and race trailer. They were in the paddock at Road America with us last August and when they pulled out and drove by us the sun disappeared and it took what seemed like five minutes for the Prevost and massive trailer to glide by as everyone in the paddock turned and watched them. I was like watching the QEIII or an aircraft carrier leaving port. Everything was silent except for their train whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabyrd View Post
    as I mentioned earlier we are VERY careful and try not to draw attention to ourselves.
    Diane
    How in the world can you NOT draw attention to yourselves? Just pulling on the road must turn every head!

I think we need to drop the subject before we schnooker ourselves.

Wow, up to 60 days 1st offense and up to 6mo in prison second offense w/in year. Might want to check on a permit in Texas.

I've had rigs as long as 92'. A 45' truck conversion with a 36' stacker trailer with an extended tounge with a mini fifth wheel. Many 45' coaches with stackers. I have NEVER been pulled over, nor did I stop at any scales. If you do that, you are asking for trouble.

As long as you can handle it, I would not worry about it. Every state has written laws, but most are not enforced or apply when it comes to a "Motorhome" pulling it.

The worst part was, stopping at a rest area, and hanging out of the spot on both ends!

Kevin,
    I had the same question so I went to the DMV weigh station in Iowa where I reside and ask them, he was an old timer I would say pretty high up he had to look it up and told me I would be over length because we are licensed as a motor home 65 ft is the limit 70 ft if I were a pickup pulling a fifth wheel pulling a boat ? Which didn't make sense ???
    So I ask him how all the Prevost go by with stacker trailers all the time and he said no one knows the actual Law he even had to look it up, he told me not to worry about it,
    But you can bet everything you own if there were ever an accident the Lawyers would Know exactly what the law read and would tear you apart ,,
    That being said I have a motorcycle lift on the back of my bus then the sterling tow bar then an unlimited Jeep Rubicon and with the spare tire on my jeep on the back I think I am around 73 ft long , I guess its a roll of the Dice !!!

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!

We were stopped by a DPS trooper on I-10 in Ozona, TX in June of 21. He asked me how long we were and I told him I wasn’t for sure, but I thought 65 feet. I prayed while he pulled a tape from front bumper to trailer bumper. He told me we were just under 65 feet and commended me for a “job well done.” He said he never fails to get to write a ticket when stopping bus conversions pulling a trailer. He said that ours was a first. So, there is at least one DPS trooper…
    John Clawson
    1991 XL Marathon #9186

John,

That must have been small town TX and a young trooper or a jealous old guy.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by Gil_J View Post
    John,

That must have been small town TX and a young trooper or a jealous old guy.
    ……or someone with nothing to do. Houston area here and tow all the time. Even the TOAD behind the H3 would be too long. You get some that need to make a stop. Usually younger ones.
    Michael & Debra
    04 Marathon H3-45 0851
    Matching ATC Silver Trek Stacker
    TOAD: Jeep Gladiator
    Houston, Texas