Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ENCLOSED TRAILERING LEGAL ISSUES 45 FT PLUS 25 FEET + 70 FEET . OVER 5 FEET???

Hybrid View

Lightbulb ENCLOSED TRAILERING LEGAL ISSUES 45 FT PLUS 25 FEET + 70 FEET . OVER 5 FEET???

HELLO I HAVE 4O FT PREVOST MARATRHON XL 1996 I LOVE.. I MUST GET AN ENCLOSED CAR HAULER FOR SHOWS ETC. I PLAN TO GET A 45 H3 45 TO HALU 20 FOOT ENCLOSED TRAILER.
    LEGALLY 65 FT IS LEGAL WHAT IF U ARE TOTALLY 68--70 FEET??WILL THE LAW KICK U ASS ..

AND WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES //

KEVIN D TAMPA

HELLO KEVIN SAYING HI

Hi Kevin. Each State will have its own limits on lengths. California is limited to 65 feet.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Kevin,

Most states don't enforce their length limits. Many say CA actively enforces. With tax revues down, others may follow. I read on a generic RV site that TN levies a $212 ticket. It would be good to know if these are moving violations as they result in points against your license.

A bigger concern would be what would happen if involved in an accident.

BTW, many that are towing 4 down full size vehicles are over 65 feet.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

There R a few states that R at 65 not many most R at 70ft. A few have no limit. Ive never heard of any enforcement sept California.

U R being prudent. Inquiring. U have a 40 and a relatively small enclosed trlr I think U will be AOK

Just for the record not to worry U cause I really believe other than Cal U will never be stopped.

BUT

The way troopers do truckers is like this. If they need to be X length for the weight they have on and they R a bit short. If it is less than 6 in they give it to U over 6 in U get the fine.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-21-2014 at 07:40 AM.

Kevin, We have towed race car haulers, originally with toter-homes and more recently wth a coach tens of thousands of miles. they ranged anywhere from 70 to 82'. Never been stopped. For awhile we used semi's and had more scrutiny(weigh stations, saftey checks etc.) than with anything else. Present length is 82' and never a problem so far. Have not towed in Calif. for 10 yr. though. We go the speed limit or under and stay in our lane as much as possible.
    Corey Grubb & George Prentice
    1999 H3-45 Vantare
    Will & Grace-fierce felines
    Cedar Hammock, FL.

The road goes on forever
    and the party never ends

We often triple tow at almost 85'... H3-45 + Suburban + Golf Cart on Trailer !! In Texas and Louisiana never a problem... we just stay in the slow lane and obey all the other laws of the road !! Have been passed many times by troopers too !!

Larry & Diane Byrd
    Lufkin Texas.
    2005 Liberty Elegant Lady H3-45
    1998 Vantare H3-45 D/S SOLD
    2016 Cadillac Escalade ESV 4WD

Triple tow; I wonder if that is something that is enforced state by state, like overall length, or each state has to accept the laws of your state of registration. Regardless, triple towing surely puts you over the legal limit in every state with a length limit. Triple towing also MAY require your last tow to also have supplemental and/or a break-away braking system. Diane's looks light enough to not require supplementary or brake-away brakes. I've seen several 5th wheels towing cars. Besides the obvious challenge to get enough frame structure to the rear of the 5th wheel to tow a car, they would seem the first to be pulled over. On a generic RV site this topic comes up often and I don't recall anyone outside of CA being ticketed.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Quote Originally Posted by coreygrubb View Post
    Kevin, We have towed race car haulers, originally with toter-homes and more recently wth a coach tens of thousands of miles. they ranged anywhere from 70 to 82'. Never been stopped. For awhile we used semi's and had more scrutiny(weigh stations, saftey checks etc.) than with anything else. Present length is 82' and never a problem so far. Have not towed in Calif. for 10 yr. though. We go the speed limit or under and stay in our lane as much as possible.
    I can attest to the length of George and Corey's bus and race trailer. They were in the paddock at Road America with us last August and when they pulled out and drove by us the sun disappeared and it took what seemed like five minutes for the Prevost and massive trailer to glide by as everyone in the paddock turned and watched them. I was like watching the QEIII or an aircraft carrier leaving port. Everything was silent except for their train whistle.

Kevin,
    I had the same question so I went to the DMV weigh station in Iowa where I reside and ask them, he was an old timer I would say pretty high up he had to look it up and told me I would be over length because we are licensed as a motor home 65 ft is the limit 70 ft if I were a pickup pulling a fifth wheel pulling a boat ? Which didn't make sense ???
    So I ask him how all the Prevost go by with stacker trailers all the time and he said no one knows the actual Law he even had to look it up, he told me not to worry about it,
    But you can bet everything you own if there were ever an accident the Lawyers would Know exactly what the law read and would tear you apart ,,
    That being said I have a motorcycle lift on the back of my bus then the sterling tow bar then an unlimited Jeep Rubicon and with the spare tire on my jeep on the back I think I am around 73 ft long , I guess its a roll of the Dice !!!

Larry & Nancy
    Midwest
    2000 45ft Prevost Featherlight Vantare XL 17ft slide, an Overbuilt Motorcycle lift and sterling tow bar to take lots of fun with us
    2012 Black Jeep Rubicon OEM Lift Bilstein shocks, PowerPlant Duel Force Warn 9,500 lb Air/Winch
    1998 FLSTS Custom harley
    One Chocalate Lab " Rooster " Our Baby !!!