Thread: Ford Death Wobble Have you experienced iit?

Default Ford Death Wobble Have you experienced iit?

Twice the F 150 has started the death wobble while being towed.
    Each time was when pulling in a turn at an intersection. Both times was a turn to the left.
    In rethinking events the road was severely irregular with pavement pot holes and humps which come from continued braking action on the pavement and no repair to surface.

The truck started wobbling side to side and shaking the coach and the rear camera showed the Truck going from one side to the other.

I was at a speed of 10 to 15 MPH as I was making a turn in the intersection to go to the left.
    I slowed to no effect and had to come to a complete stop and restart to eliminate the wobble.
    Glad I had a heavy duty Roadmaster Nighthawk tow system as this was a lot of pressure on the system transfering into the bus.
    Last edited by georgew; 10-21-2023 at 10:10 PM.
    George and Joan
    1998 Royale Aug 2019
    Goldsboro NC
    Just added a 2022 Ford King Ranch

There is a lot of information on FMCA and irv2 websites about this. Seems mostly for later model Jeeps with electric power steering but apparently there are other vehicles with similar issues. Someone with an Chevrolet Equinox pulled the fuse for the power steering.

In the case of the jeep I saw this "The newer Cherokee 4x4's have electric power steering. Many people reported a severe shaking/wobble while towing over rough roads. Jeep issued a Service Bulletin which calls for a special wiring harness which keeps the PS energized while being towed."

I would call Ford and talk to them about this and they should have have the solution.

In addition to these types of issues, there were several cautions that the tow bard had to be flat. Anything above a 2" difference had the capability to de-weight the front wheels and add to the problem.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Mark and Debbie Fratto
    1998 Parliament