Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: POG3 Seminars/Discussions

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Davis View Post
    I don't know, but I would probably suggest that we try to locate a spot off the RV park. Having a bus drive around for 4 hours might not be super appreciated, especially when it's people who have not driven before.

I can do two things if it makes sense:

1. Contact Buckhorn, and see if they have any problem with the course.
    2. If they do, ask them for suggestions where we could run it?

Or we can try to do it on the sly ....

Thoughts anyone?

Ray
    Ray I am one step ahead of you, I placed a call around noon to the Buckhorn Resident mgr. and asked if they knew or could direct us to a place we could have our driving course setup. They have not called me back yet. They have about 6" of snow right now on the ground ?
    Will keep everyone informed of what they say. There are some big lots like Home Depot, and Sams close by, if nothing else turns up.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by rmboies View Post
    Tuga,

I am glad I suggested the idea but now I am regretting it a little because I likely will not even be there! I almost didn't post it because I thought, hmmmm, maybe I should wait until the next POG rally, hoping that we would be able to attend The the generous side of me won out so all you ladies, pop a wheely for me in Tuga's coach!!
    Debi,

Don't regret the suggestion, it was a winner. Looks like it is creating some interest. We'll miss you and Bob in Kerrville, but I am sure that we will get together at POG 4.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Ray,

Getting permission from Buckhorn is a good idea. If they will let us do it, I think that it is a perfect setup. As I previously stated, the streets are wide and the turns are gentle. It also affords easy access to switching "driving groups of 4 people". I also have no problem with doing it at Sam's or Home Depot, but I also think that we should ask their permission as well.

Jon,

I disagree, I think that the way to learn to drive is to drive. A ground school will help, but ultimately getting behind the wheel is the only way. Start out in a controled environment going slow and start out practicing the basics; starting, stopping, and turning. Hopefully, some confidence will be gained and a respect for the machine will be learned. You are right about the campground not preparing the student for the hazards of the road, but they have to start somewhere; campground or shopping center, either is fine with me. They have to crawl before they can walk.

I am not a professional driver, and I will certainly yield to a professional driver who offers to give the seminar. I have taught Karen and several others to drive my coach in about 30 minutes. She does not know statistical information about the coach, but she and the others can drive it safely and effectively. She does not have a special license, but neither do I. Of the 300,000 motorhomes on the roads I wonder how many have special licenses! Let the beginners start at the beginning.

I think that you have a good point regarding the student learning to drive in their own coach. It just makes good sense. So I don't know what the best solution is: maybe we just need to keep discussing the possibilities.
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

I think you should take the whole thing out to the Kerrville airport and use the Mooneys on the ramp as traffic cones. 'Bout all they are good for.......

Default Bus Drivers Training

I can tell this subject has Legs (no pun intended) . I would say we will have to see just at what level each person wants to learn. There may be individuals who will pass on the actual driving on the freeway.

Are there any Stadium Parking lots, Wharehouse Lots, or Abandoned paved areas.

Everyone has their own pace at learning, I am the type that will jump on something , start the motor and go. Most people are not like that. So, I would think a go slow approach.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Default Count Jean in

Tuga

Jean has not driven since driving school ( 1/2 day class at Lazydays), I am sure she will want to do it and it is a great idea...I will help you if you would like any help with all the gals...Mike & Jean Simmons

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

I think the boys should be made to wash, dry and put away the dishes while the girls are learning behind the wheel

Make it a learning experiance for all!

We are currently squating in Baileys driveway and he suggested a belly dancing class for the guys while the girls are busy driving!
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 01-17-2007 at 09:14 AM.

win42 Guest

When asked if she wants to drive Shirley says "not my job" I'm not threatended by her taking over the driving and she's not threatened by me wearing her panty hose. I guess we're from another generation. I would enjoy seeing her give driving the bus a try but if it's something she's not comfortable with then there will be no pressure from me to have her do it. If something disabled me away from home my son or another experianced driver would be asked to get the bus home.
    Last edited by win42; 01-17-2007 at 10:34 AM.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Ah, in reading your posting carefully kind Sir, you mentioned wearing your wife's panty hose?

Could you expand a little on that please?

Perhaps there is a secret in a lasting marriage we may have missed?

Really funny you chose panty hose for the metaphor