Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aqua Hot System

Default Aqua Hot System

I've always had Webasto before, so I'm not familar with Aqua Hot. Do most people normally run it on the line voltage setting when plugged in to shore power? Will it provide sufficient heat and hot water on that setting?
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

YES ...........BUT I do not believe it will give U continuous unending hot water like it can do with the burner on. Defiantly enough for a reasonable shower though.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 01-05-2014 at 01:53 PM.

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

Dale, we normally turn on the Aqua Hot about 15 minutes before we intend to use it for bathing, and let it operate during and shortly after to keep the water nice and hot. We do turn on the electric portion when plugged in, even with the Aqua Hot running. Electric will suffice for dish washing, it just does not deliver the volume of hot water for a long shower, or multiple showers.
    How is the new bus? IT SURE IS A GOOD LOOKER!

Pete & EJ Petree
    2001 Prevost Featherlite Vantare
    2008 Ford Explorer Sport Trac 4x4
    Sealy, Texas

That's what I needed to know. I turned it on last night using the line voltage, and it warmed the bus nice and toasty after a couple hours.

Pete, I'm working my way through getting things fixed on the bus. Maybe in a few years, I'll get everything done! I'm not accomplishing much with this cold weather. I guess I've become a wimp in my old age.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

The Aqua Hot on our last coach would supply plenty of hot water in electric only mode. It would also keep the coach warm to outside temperatures somewhere in the low 40s. I think some models supported both electric and diesel on at the same time. The diesel burner would only come on when electric couldn't supply the necessary heat. FWIW, I think an Aqua Hot is a better alternative to a Webasto with separate hot water heaters. The only thing you want to make sure of is that an Aqua Hot must be properly winterized if not otherwise protected or used during freezing weather.
    Last edited by Gil_J; 01-06-2014 at 10:23 AM.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I don't get that Gil, a Webasto does the same thing.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

Bernie, they have similarities, but are very different.

A Webasto heats and circulates engine coolant. Typically, the coolant circulates on different loops, but it doesn't have to be. The coolant circulates through the engine, interior heat exchangers, and one or more marine style hot water heaters with internal heat exchangers.

An Aqua Hot is a self-contained heating system. It has an electric heating element and Webasto diesel heater. Unlike the Webasto system, the Aqua Hot uses a closed heating loop for domestic hot water and interior heat exchangers. This loop does not use engine coolant. Like the Webasto, their is often a engine coolant loop in addition to the closed loop. Unlike the Webasto, the Aqua Hot can provide interior heat through the interior heat exchangers with electric power. Mind you, this will not warm the interior when the temperatures are colder than 40 or so. Unlike the Webasto, there is no need for a hot water heater, it's in the Aqua Hot. The Aqua Hot hot water heater is closer to an on-demand heater than a typical storage tank.

Some Aqua Hot models have the ability to use both electric and diesel giving priority to electric first. This can reduce the burn time on the internal Webasto.

Some bad mouth Aqua Hots. In most cases, this is due to lack of maintenance or improper winterization.

I hope this helps,

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I understand the differences in both, the way I read your post was that the Webasto wouldn't do both. How my bus get's to the end result doesn't matter as long as it can produce enough endless hot water for a leg shaving shower, life is good. And I quit shaving my legs 35 years ago so don't go there but thanks for your sound explanation.

Later
    bv

Bernie & Deborah
    2019 Marathon X3 #1291
    2019 Intech Stacker

The benefits of the Webasto system is its capability of heating not only the fresh water tank and the Coach itself, but also the engine. So, when your ready to drive from a cold morning somewhere, your engine will be warm. Additionally, when the engine is running, without the webasto, the fresh water heater is being heated by the same coolant loop and heating the heater coils thru out the cabin of the Coach.
    It is different but it does have its positives.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

The aqua hot does all that Gary just the same. It has an engine loop circulating pump that transfers heat from the aquahot to the engine to preheat the engine when the engine is not running and the same pump transfers heat from the engine to the boiler when the engine is running.