Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LED 'Flow'

Well, I could say its in the eye of the beholder. From a subjective point of view, the LED lights are crisp and sharp, but it seems you need more to fully illuminate a lens. The lumens of a Led lamp appears to be higher than a S lamp but the glow or spread is less. Hope that clears it up!
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

win42 Guest

We were sitting behind a small ford with it's LED brake lights on last night and I was getting flash burns through my 72 year old cataracs.
    If you want to keep your existing tail light lenses, add red LED lights behind clear lenses. If someone comes up behind a SS bus and can't see it, they don't belong on the road. Now what other trivia can we waste our time on.
    YEEEZ

Ok.

I never questioned the intensity of LED's. All I'm saying is that from an astectic reasons, incandescent bulbs give a better "FLOW" across the lens.
    As opposed to beady eyed LED approach.

mm

OK, if you guys want technical, sticking an LED bulb assembly in a light designed to use an incandescent bulb may have less than satisfying characteristics because the fresnel pattern may have been optimized for a filament bulb.

Gary can confirm this and also indicate I speak truth. I didn't make this one up.

Quote Originally Posted by MangoMike View Post
    Fast Roger,

As Delicious Debi would say - BAHAHAHAHA.. You make me laugh.
    I know as soon as you read my post, you grabbed your digital and headed for the dungeon with Micki in tow to work the brakes. You have way too much free time.
    mm
    Hmmmmm, DD, has a nice ring to it

Lightbulb

Yes and no, The lense does come into play, but the shape of the reflector and the position of the lamp filament or the led light source in the reflector and how the light is focused onto the lens has an equally important role in the quality of light emitted from the fixture. I have never heard of light characteristics described by "flow". Someone please en..light..en me. are we making up answers here?

Yea, John is correct. The incandescent lamp is designed to reflect light off the back of the lamp housing and to illuminate thru a lens which increases its light. The LED lamp is designed to stand alone as its own lamp and does not have reflectance. That is why you typically see more LEDs in a Lens. An example would be a typical Stop light. The red/yellow/green used to have a standard long life A base lamp bulb. Know each color has approx. 30 small LED lamps. The benefit is you don't have to replace the lamps every 3 months.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Default The fresnel effect

Do you think an ellipsoidal reflector would be more efficient in this regard?
    (sorry, couldn't help it)...

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    OK, if you guys want technical, sticking an LED bulb assembly in a light designed to use an incandescent bulb may have less than satisfying characteristics because the fresnel pattern may have been optimized for a filament bulb.

Gary can confirm this and also indicate I speak truth. I didn't make this one up.

The bulb replacement interval is always cited as a reason to switch to LEDs. In the 15 years we owned the first coach we never replaced a bulb in the side marker lights.

I replaced a lot of bulbs in the top front and rear clearance lights (the wedge type), but I can't recall doing that every year. It seemed like every couple of years one or two would need to be replaced.

I never had to change a turn signal bulb, but did have to change several parking light bulbs until Prevost changed them I think they went to a lower wattage and possibly from a 24V to a 28V.

I only replaced two stop light bulbs.

I would switch to LEDs if I could replace the entire stack in the rear with assemblies that were direct replacements and were designed as LEDs. I like the way the LED lights "snap" on, and their "in-your-face" intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post

I would switch to LEDs if I could replace the entire stack in the rear with assemblies that were direct replacements and were designed as LEDs. I like the way the LED lights "snap" on, and their "in-your-face" intensity.
    Ahhhh.... We're starting to have just a hint of movement from the Dark Side.