Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Leans

Dale,

Roger and I just replaced all the air bags on both our coaches. I ordered mine through Prevost in Elgin. I spoke to Charlie Kailor who is very helpful.

I also shopped airbags from other sources and hands down Prevost is the source of choice on airbags. They stock them, the price is right, and you will get the correct one if you are specific as to what coach you have. Make sure your Prevost serial number is available when you talk to Prevost.

I replaced the air bags on my 40 footer years back, and I don't think there are any "gotchas" except if I recall the rear drive axle bag removal can only be done if you remove the shock absorber. Not a big deal, but necessary if my memory is correct. Air bag removal on a 45 footer is easier. The fronts should be modified to make removal easier and future replacement a snap.

I have a single observation about air bags based on what appears to be anecdotal evidence. They likely have a life span of about ten years. On my first coach that was when the first failure occurred. It has happened on Mike's and Roger's coaches also. Both are in the 10 year age range. Because of that, as preventive maintenance I would strongly recommend that any airbag that is 10 years old should get replaced.

An on road failure of an air bag is a show stopper. You might be able to drive to the shoulder, but you won't get much further if the air bag fails catastrophically, and if the air bag failure is a leak and not a blowout, that leak will only get bigger, and at some point your compressor will not be able to overcome the air loss.

I willl order the air bag from Prevost also. One of the problems I have is that I don't know the repair history of my bus. I can see that there are replacement parts, but my records only go back to last year. Everything seems to have been lost from the original owner. I suppose I can get what was done at Prevost, but many people have repairs done at independent locations.

It will probably be a couple weeks before I actually replace the bag. I am waiting on Prevost to get my account straight before I purchase anything else. I ordered an air dryer cartiridge in early December, and they shipped the wrong part. They then shipped a replacement part overnight which was also wrong. At this point, I have paid $208 for two wrong parts and still have nothing to show for it. I am waiting on my credits to come through before I make additional orders.

Once I replace the bag that I know is leaking, I intend to use the leak detector to check all fittings, bags, and valves. I do have some Norgren valves in my steering compartment and maybe under the bus as well. Thanks to all for your input.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

If I heard it correctly, Prevost retains service information by serial number. If they serviced your airbags in the past the records should reflect that.

They do that because they warranty their work and that warranty follows the coach, and not the owner.

I don't know how well equipped your garage is, but each air bag has a date on the label. All you need to do is drop the top of the airbags down enough to be able to see the label and you can determine the age. It is a lot of work, but at least you will know where your stand.