Don't start with the Mac thing unless you want it to come back to you with such fury that it will make your brain spin.

I use both Mac and Windows and prefer the Mac. I'm also not a beginner by any means... I started with computers before I was in high school (from punch cards to today) and have done everything from light programming to writing books about computers. But I also work with everyone from complete beginners to the most advanced folks, so I'm not thinking from an isolated position.

Comparing Mac to Windows can be like comparing a Prevost to SOB... it all depends on your perspective as to which is which.

So, if you think I've taken the weenie way out, then I'd much rather be a mac weenie than a PC user any day.

It sounds to me like your Mac friends are not computer users, which is why they need help... god help them if they were on a PC (configuration, trouble shooting and stability are some of the biggest problems with the PC). You have to be very educated about the guts of your computer to be an effective PC user, which is not a requirement for Mac users... that allows you to concentrate on what you want to do with the 'pute instead of how to keep it running.