Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No shore power to coach

Default No shore power to coach

Shore power to the coach disappeared tonight. Open bay one and something was clicking very loudly.
    Then a relay on my Allen Bradley computer started arcing inside. I replaced the relay and it behaved normally. Still no shore power.

I then checked the plug and the black wire had melted and came loose from the connector. Apparently it got hot enough to fuse itself to the common (white) wire. However, there was no short between the white and black wire as only the exterior coating had merely stuck together).

Replaced plug but still not getting shore power to the coach. Fired up the generator and that gives me AC power.

Has anyone ever experienced this problem?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I did verify that power was at the box where I plugged into.
    Last edited by ToyMan; 11-16-2013 at 12:23 AM.
    Ron & Suzie Hampton
    2001 Marathon H3-45
    Ford Edge towinf 4 down

Sounds like u had a loose conection. Thats the resistance that created the heat. now your auto transfer switch is stuck in generator. U R on the right path go further.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-16-2013 at 01:16 AM.

Once you repaired your receptacle, your breaker panel should indicate if your on shore or generator power.
    If it indicates no shore power, make sure the switch is on for the shore power cord.
    If all looks ok and it still does not turn on, check to see if the transfer switch is properly switching between shore and generator.
    This requires a volt tester and caution. You should get a reading of 240 volt between the two phases, and 120 volt to neutral and/or ground.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Checked this morning and when the generator is running there is power to the 70 AMP shore power breaker but when the generator shuts off there is no power to the breaker.

Any ideas where the transfer switch is?
    Ron & Suzie Hampton
    2001 Marathon H3-45
    Ford Edge towinf 4 down

Sorry Ron, can't help with this one.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

My Transfer switch is in the driver side first bay. Its in a large Chrome Box with a switch on the outside which indicates Port or Starboard cord connection and a 2 pole circuit breaker on the outside of the box.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

U mentioned replacing a relay. Was it large and orange and in a panel with a second one? That may be your switch. Shoot if it were mine and I needed that fix I'd call Liberty in north Chicago they will lead u right to the problem.

I kinda remember a similar situation and was told to switch the position swap the 2 Orange relays and then no power was present out of the gen and had the failure verification. Don't quote this responce call Liberty don't fret u r learning and also becoming a better tech. Anybody keep one of these long enough can not avoid becoming a way better tech. Let us know the fix when u get there.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 11-17-2013 at 10:33 AM.

Problem solved. When I replaced the relay on the Allen Bradley computer, I bent one of the micro-pins on the relay thus making the contactor inoperative.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions and ideas.

Ron
    Ron & Suzie Hampton
    2001 Marathon H3-45
    Ford Edge towinf 4 down

I'll bet that one was hard to track down.

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty