Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain

Default Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain

I have a Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain towbar with a 6000 pound capacity. I bought a 2013 Tahoe which weighs 5600 pounds. I'm wondering if I am a little too close to the bar capacity or should I upgrade to a 10000 pound capacity bar. I'm also curious which brake supplement system works best on the GM products as the Tahoe weighs more than the Subaru Outback wagon that I'm replacing..........If anyone is looking for a great tow vehicle the Subaru is for sale '12 with 9k miles, manual trans, ready for towing...plug and play!
    Last edited by rickdesilva; 11-15-2013 at 08:23 AM.
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

Rick, We've been towing a Tahoe since '08. We live on the left coast so lots of climbing and an occasional short back-up to get out of a jam. We are using a Roadmaster Falcon 2 which also has a 6000lb capacity. No problems or even a hint of one. We are using an M&G brake system. This is the third vehicle we've had the M&G system installed on and it works beautifully. Many of our friends are using the AirForce One system and I hear that system works well also. I do know it's more complex than the M&G system. I would recommend that you don't tow the Tahoe without supplemental brakes, especially if spending much time in the hills. As to bus performance with the heavier vehicle, we've noticed no difference between the Tahoe and a Saturn Vue we had previously. We're still getting 7+ mpg. 62mph.

I have a 10,000 and my plant manager has a 6,000 and I had to use his recently and I cannot tell any difference in size,I think that the 6000 is adequate.

Rick: as Pete would say: I know you got the money - go ahead and buy the 10000 lb tow bar - why take a chance? I would hate to see the 2013 Tahoe wind up like the big Ford SUV.

Is the Tahoe black?
    Roger that!
    2008 Liberty DS XL2
    2023 Denali Ultimate
    My 6th Prevost

Yes its Black, that seems to be the universal color of Tahoes here in NJ. I have the '11 Denali to pull the motorcycle trailer and I have the '12 Outback to tow behind the bus. I can't tow the Denali because of the trans so, the Tahoe kills 2 birds with one stone, I can pull the motorcycle trailer with the Tahoe AND tow it behind the bus when I need to. So I get rid of 2 cars and downsize to one. I wasn't able to keep my medical plan so I need the cash to buy health insurance in the Affordable Medical Care marketplace........if only I can get the website to work!
    Wendy and Rick DeSilva
    '08 Marathon H-3
    2017 F350 platinum
    Mahwah, NJ
    Brant Beach, NJ
    Pelican Lake, Fla

RD, Don't you qualify for Medicare ?

99 Country Coach 45XL
    Jeep Liberty

Try WWW.hitchtrader.com to get inexpensive hitches.
    Danss 1999 Vogue, 03 Chev. Trailblazer

Hey Rick,
    Glad to hear your upgrading, Im going to feel better being pulled out of ditches by a Tahoe vs that Subaru. I use the Roadmaster 10000lb bar for my jeep just in case I put it in the ditch while its being towed. Figured the added drag pulling it out would be covered. I also use the M&J Braking system. Easy to hook up and I assume it works well although the jeeps so light I can't really feel it back there. They make and install that system just South of Dallas. You should come down and get one installed and I'll by you dinner while your here. Ain't but a couple thousand miles!!!

I've pulled 2500 Duramax Diesel 4x4's and Hummer H2's, along with others, and have had no problems with the 6000 lb capacity Roadmaster Tow bars. However, after 13 years of use, I just bought a New 10,000 lb All Terrain just because....

Rick, Roadmaster over builds their product, as others probably do. So, if you're tow is under 6,000 you can stay with what you have or upgrade. If you load ever exceeds 6,000 pounds you should upgrade, if for no other reason, to limit liability if something bad happens. I'm not suggesting anyhing bad will happen, just that we all know we're in a sue happy society.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion