Thread: New Member Looking for information on 1998 Liberty Classic Lady XL45

Hybrid View

Default New Member Looking for information on 1998 Liberty Classic Lady XL45

I am new to Prevost Owners Group and am in the process of looking at a couple coaches as my first Prevost.

Came across a 1998 Prevost Liberty Classic Lady XL 45 and wanted to check to see if anyone on the forums recognized the coach and could possible provide some specifics on it.

The coach is currently located in Texas at a dealer, but the description is a little confusing in terms of power train. It's listed with a S60 470HP and Allison 5 speed. Looking to see if the transmission is correct, or if it's a mistake on the ad and it's really a 6 speed.

Also, if anyone knows this bus personally, please feel free to contact me privately, would love to get some history on it.

I have some questions in with the dealer as well as with Liberty, but any other information would be helpful.

thanks

Charles

Here is a side pic of the coach in question:

The 60 series was coupled with the 5 speed for 1 year and that was the first year that they switched to that engine. That was 95 I think.

That bus definitely has a six speed. Its just a mistake in their ad. I noticed this when they first posted the ad, and I verified it is a 6 speed. I have no first-hand knowledge of the bus, but it seems to be a very nice low-mileage bus. Of course, maintenance is the main thing to look for, other than appearance. They will often times deal a little on the price.

I would find out what they know about the maintenance records. How old are the tires and batteries and when and where was it last serviced? Five years are getting close to the end of the life cycle for both tires and batteries if they were properly maintained. They say tires are recent, but I would verify the actual mfg dates.
    Last edited by dale farley; 11-22-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Thanks Dale,

I have been talking with the dealer today and confirmed it's a 6 speed as well as clarified some of the other typos in the ad. They are saying the tires are brand new. Checking on the batteries and maintenance records as well as the air ride components.

Charles,

Write down the series 60 engine serial number and check with Detroit Diesel to see any history on the engine. You can also have a DD shop printout a computer list of info on the engine. Some of the series 60 DD of that vintage had wrist pin problems. I would specifically ask DD if that serial number engine was prone to wrist pin problems.

Good luck, it looks like a beautiful bus!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Hi Charles. When looking at any Coach, it is a good idea to pay to have engine, and drivetrain inspected. The air system for suspension and ride height should also be inspected. All the air bags need replacing if they are 15 years old. Norgren valves should be replaced. Hoses and belts should be replaced.
    One thing that gets overlooked is the water bay. Has the fresh water tank been cleaned. Has the waste water tank been cleaned.
    How old is the water heater. All water filters should be replaced. The water pump should be inspected.
    Is there any tell tale water leaks.
    Inspect A/C units for blowing cold air. Check Webasto Heater for blowing hot air.
    How many hours on the Generator. When was it serviced last. When was the coolant previously replaced for the Gen.

These are all issues that can assist you in valuing the correct price for this Coach.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide