Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st timer going all in

Congrats and BE SAFE !

Congratulations on the new (to you) coach. I parked mine next to my home for the first week and spent several days reviewing manuals while sitting in the salon or at the dining table and then finding the particular switch, control, or system in the coach as I learned how to use it. There is a lot to learn compared to a new family car (I almost never break open an owner's manual for most modern luxury cars) but that is part of the journey BEFORE the journey. It is easier to read the manuals before you are on the road then when you are ON the road. With that being said keep your coach converter's manual nearby so your passenger can look up things up for you while you drive when you need it. Like "what does this button do" or "what does this indicator light mean?" We did this for the first 10,000 miles.

Yesterday I spent the day in Quartzsite, AZ at their annual RV show. I learned a lot from the various vendors of parts, accessories, etc. There were many new and preowned RVs on display. It was very rewarding for me to know that I made a very good purchase of my 20 year old coach with 42,000 miles that is still not broken in for a sum less than every 45' motorhome that was on the display (including the newer pre-owned models). The quality of a Prevost and the conversions performed to a higher degree of fit and finish with premium materials allows it to far outlast the majority of what is made today. I was also in a $600k 45' diesel with the Cummins ISL motor and while it was running the entire coach was vibrating and the noise was unbearable in the rear bedroom (not much quieter than standing 5' behind the motor).

Trust me when I say that you will meet some of these people at campgrounds, truck stops, rest areas, and other locations as you travel. They might be standing outside your Prevost for ten minutes staring at it until you finally walk down the steps to strike up a conversation with them. They could possibly share with you that they wish they had a Prevost or that they have always dreamed of owning one. Most don't realize that compared to what they just spent on a brand new motorhome they could have bought a 10 year old Prevost like yours or multiple 20 year old Prevost like mine that will be cruising the highways long after theirs is reborn as a Burning Man vehicle.

Enjoy your new bus!
    Matthew & Elizabeth Valentine
    1997 Marathon Coach #450 XLV
    Glendale, Arizona

I was setup in a Campsite and Had the awning down , and the outdoor entertainment center going , About Dusk. And a Dude pulls in next to Me in a 4 or 5 Slide Plastic RV that was fairly new. After getting setup He comes over and says " Man what a Beautiful Coach , You have done a Lot of work to that haven't You ? ( Referring to how the Stainless Shines ) I said no Not really , Just washed it a few days ago. I always dry all the lower Skins with a Chamois to keep from getting water Spots. He said that thing is new isn't it ? I said no , It is a 1996. ( Was 2014 , I think ) He said , Gosh I would like to get one like that some day ! We visited a while and He left. I never did tell Him that He could probably have bought TWO Coach's like Mine. For what He had in the One He was driving ! Something else You are going to get asked a lot while driving Your Prevost is. Are You hauling any Singers ? And Or Can You tell Me WHO is on the Bus ? Been asked so many times , That My standard reply has become. " Sorry Sir , I am not allowed to tell You " I am just the Driver !

Hi Gonecrazy,

I really enjoy pulling into CG's with all the other motorhome owners glancing peaks. When I get out I notice the heads quickly turn away as they hide their longing stares. It can seem a little standoffish; I've come to accept that as part and parcel of Prevost ownership. But, when my wife gets out holding the baby, followed by my ten year old, followed by my seven year old, and finally my 5 year old, well by then the whole CG is over and we're all enjoying the conversation. The site of all of us piling out is quite the ice breaker!

Before many of us actually looked into the used Prevost conversion market, me included, we were sitting in our traditional class A motor home looking at Prevosts the same way. Prevost conversions aren't on most traditional RV buyers radar because there's so few for sale and the bad wrap the traditional RV market tries to place on Prevost conversions. When I was looking at both Prevost conversions and traditional RVs I was told on more than one occasion what an electrical nightmare and trouble conversions were. What a bunch of crap. We certainly have more electrical and electronic systems. The number of devices can overwhelm some, but it shouldn't. Some electrical systems on some traditional systems can be harder to work on due to the lack of drawings, wire identifiers, or self developed systems that make little logical sense.

I can't think of a single CG we've stayed it where we didn't have a friendly conversation with our neighbors. I'm sure there may have been some initial hesitation by some of our neighbors. Once our lab comes out and greets our neighbors any ice that might have been between us usually melts.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12