Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Keys

Karen is exactly like Debbie with her fear of flying. Poor girl is deathly afraid and she tries but just can't shake it.

We flew down to St. Thomas and bareboat chartered a 42' Grand Banks for a week back in 1999. That was the best vacation that we ever had. We liked it so much we did it again the next year with 2 other couples. Since then we have not flown; we use the coach to travel and both love it.

Tell Debbie she is not alone.

Boy, the more I sit here and think about the FL keys the more I want to jump in that coach and drive down there. Oh well, it's fun to dream!
    Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2012 Honda Pilot

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

OK boys and girls its time to reopen this thread.

Once again, for the third year now, the closing date for Fiesta Key KOA has been pushed back and the place will once again be open for the winter season, YEHA.

I got a feeling the current real estate situation is still not good enough for the developers to risk going forward with plans for a condo complex yet.

I called there today and they will be open through April next year for sure.

We are defenitly going down again. Is anyone else interested? They have 28 50amp sites half are on the water, the other half are pull-throughs.

We usually go in Jan. but would be willing to change the dates if others were interested.

What say you?

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Although we could not make a trip down to the Keys this year we have been in touch with our Fiesta Key neighbors. The word is they are currently taking reservations for next year, the construction/development plans have been pushed back again.

We will not miss 2 years in a row, unless they lock me up. Before we make our reservations would anyone else be interested in joining us. We could be flexible with the dates. Any of Jan., Feb., or March would suite us just fine, this would be for 09 I'm talking about.

It is www.Fiestakeykoa.com at the 70mile marker. South of Islamorada, north of Marathon.

Deep water marina-boat rentals, heated pool, jacuzzi & hot tubs, small lounge & restaurant, large conference room, an assortment of different bicycle rentals, average Jan. temps. upper 60's at night upper 70's by day.

If you like lobster, after dark, you can FILL a 5 gal bucket with a nail on the end of a broomstick and a flashlight in less than a 1/2 hr right off the back of your campsite.

We could caravan around Florida going down or coming back in a BIG RAT PACK for a while and hit Titusville for a few nights Port St. Lucie for a couple, River Ranch for a few, maybe Disney or St Augustine too.
    Last edited by Joe Cannarozzi; 02-12-2008 at 02:39 PM.

Joe,

I know they are planning on closing, but have they spent any money on cleaning up and improvements? Probably not. Nancy and I have been there several times and really enjoyed ourselves. The mid-keys are a lot of fun.
    John Knollmaier
    Still Dreaming!

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Was that a yes John?

Imo the place has not changed one bit it is perfect as it is and changing anything might ruin it.

All the talk of developing has really worked into the hands of folks like us because it has run off all the regulars who had all the sights tied up literally for decades. In addition few even know it is still open.

Try and reserve a spot at the other campgrounds down there, it ain't easy.

The gods have looked down favorably to create this situation and it won't last too many more years.

Joe,

Unfortunately that is not a yes at this time. Although we do spend the month of March in Florida, we have spent the last few years at Pelican Lake. Nancy and I have been talking about going back to the Keys next year so we will see what happens. We always found the bar to be a lot of fun in the evenings.
    John Knollmaier
    Still Dreaming!

I'd be intersted Joe. When do we have to commit?

we live in Miami and it is a short hop for us,so if you dont mind the company let us know as well.
    Granvil Tracy
    2000 Vantare XLV45, S-2

Joe Cannarozzi Guest

Wonderful, now there is 3.

We have time on our side being almost a year out. Let's see how may more are interested and in the meantime I'll call Fiesta and see how the reservations are currently coming in. Based on what they say we can then make an educated decision on how long to wait to gather a crowd before committing to a date.

Input would be good, I already put out what we think might be nice how about your ideas for destinations other than Fiesta and some dates. Is there any dates that can not be made by interested parties?

I would like to throw out there that the end of Jan/ beginning of Feb are the dog days of winter for most and would be nice but again having never yet made a rally we would love to meet as many as possible, so being accommodating to as many as possible is paramount.

Joe, Don't count me as in on this yet. When do we have to commit? I am still in the negotiating stages with Di, and I know that unilateral decisions, even on such relatively small issues as campground reservations go over like a fart in church.

Tell us more about it. 50 amp? nice sites? good restaurants? shopping?

C'mon Joe, help me sell it.