Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8V92 or 60 Series

Default 8V92 or 60 Series

I consistently watch the prices of buses and see earlier years starting about $60K and up for an 8V and starting at about $85K for Series 60. I am talking actual "selling" prices, not advertised prices. I've seen some great looking older buses, and one of the most attractive aspects is the price. I really liked the 1993 Marathon I owned with an 8V, but it smoked quite a bit and that drove me crazy. I've heard others say their 8V doesn't smoke at all except during hard accelerations upon takeoff. I am not sure what "normal" actually is when it comes to 8V smoking. I know the 8V is a great engine and has probably racked up as many miles as any engine on the road.

I know we have many 8V owners, so I assume most are happy with their bus regardless of the engine. I know there are some pros and cons for each engine, and my goal is not to pit one against the other, but to get some honest assessments and opinions about the two. With everything else being equal, do you think it is worth $20K-$30K more to get the Series 60 engine and 6 speed transmission? My primary concern is definitely condition and service records of any potential purchase. I am very much aware that cheap price "alone" does not spell "good deal".
    Dale & Paulette
    1998 American Carriage XL45 Single Slide
    "God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Farley View Post
    I am talking actual "selling" prices, not advertised prices.
    Since we're in the market, great topic.

How do you discover actual selling prices?

Sealy, Texas (50 miles west of Houston on I-10)

The 8V92 has such a great sound! My last coach was an 8V, mechanical, which gave me great service. The 8V is VERY sensitive to heat. The Radiator MUST be kept clean to deliver as designed and odds are if an 8V has been overhauled, it was caused by overheating. Otherwise the 8V is BULLET PROOF.
    I was told by the folks at Detroit that the engine would smoke some on acceleration (about 2 or 3 seconds) from a standing start, which is exactly what mine would do.
    The series 60 delivers somewhat better acceleration from a standing start (up to about 30 mph) than the 8V, and also gets better mileage about (about 7.3-7.5) compared to the 8V, (always 5 mpg, regardless).
    Aside from the above, I would have NO reservations on buying an 8V. There are still Thousands of 8V's in service world wide in the commercial environment.
    I also don't think there are as many service centers that are up to date on service on the 8V.
    THE 8V IS A GREAT ENGINE.....DON'T BE AFRAID TO BUY ONE!

Pete & EJ Petree
    2002 Prevost Vantare
    Jeep Grand Cherokee tow car
    Sealy, Texas

Dick,

I've seen some buses that owners or buyers said what they sold for. Others that were advertized at one price, took drastic reductions and quickly sold, so I assume they sold for the lower price. Others that the seller maked as "bottom price", and I assume they will selll for close to that price. Its probably safe to assume that in each case, the bus sold for no more than the last advertised price. There are many buses that have been on the market for a "few years." Some of these are casual sellers who just put a price on it and list it for sale just to see what happens, while others actually get motivated at some point and reduce the price to something realistic. Of course you can check eBay's "Sold" prices and see actual sales. The motivation is always different from the Seller's and the Buyer's perspective. I've been on both ends as least twice. I've seen several 91-93 models that were priced at the same as 97 models with comparable miles and maintenance conditions.

When I see one advertised as "final reduction", I have asked in a few cases and sometiems they say there is more wiggle room and other times there is not. Here again, I try to look at the price and figure what it is going to cost to do the maintenance items I know they will need. I'm always amused when they say tires look like new, but they don't know how old they are. I've seen very few tires on Prevosts that didn't look like new. There are always things that will need to be done that you won't see until some time after the purchase, even on well maintained buses. Of course, then there are the upgrades that you will want to do that have nothing to do with the mechanical side of things.

Ideally, I would like to find a beautiful 2000 model, with a couple slides, new tires, batteries, all new Norgren valves and air bags, new hoses, belts, brakes and front end rebuilt. All with a Kia-type (10 yr-100K) warranty at around $100K. Yep, I know that may take a while to locate. May end up having to make "a few" concessions.
    Dale & Paulette

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Farley View Post
    Ideally, I would like to find a beautiful 2000 model, with a couple slides, new tires, batteries, all new Norgren valves and air bags, new hoses, belts, brakes and front end rebuilt. All with a Kia-type (10 yr-100K) warranty at around $100K. Yep, I know that may take a while to locate. May end up having to make "a few" concessions.
    Dale: Thankfully we're not going to be fighting over the same used coach. We're looking for one with a private commode and apparently you're not; beyond that we're both on the same page. If I run across one as you've spec'd without a private commode, I'll call you right away. I trust you'll reciprocate. Dick

The private commode was on my list the last time I bought one, and I did find it. I'll definitely keep you in mind for the 2nd one I find as described above.
    Dale & Paulette

Has there been many buses that have been repowered with a S60?
    2002 H3-45 Single slide

Yes there was one last year in Florida I think Gil went looked at it. A Marathon maybe a country coach I can't remember I remember it was really nice, in the pictures.

Kind of related topic . There was a guy in Bushnell who went by the name of JB and he used to take eagle that were 96 in wide 40 foot eagle and widen them to 102 wide lengthen them to 45ft, raise the roof put a 60 series in, he did two or three of them but they were eagle.

There is a couple older 36ft single axle XL, mororhomes, that Ives seen. I like them, pups. Bet they scoot too.
    Last edited by Joe Camper; 12-25-2017 at 11:44 AM.
    1990 Peterbuilt 377
    3406 B Caterpillar
    9 Speed Roadranger
    708 243 7871

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Camper View Post
    Yes there was one last year in Florida I think Gil went looked at it. A Marathon maybe a country coach I can't remember I remember it was really nice, in the pictures.

Kind of related topic . There was a guy in Bushnell who went by the name of JB and he used to take eagle that were 96 in wide 40 foot eagle and widen them to 102 wide lengthen them to 45ft, raise the roof put a 60 series in, he did two or three of them but they were eagle.

There is a couple older 36ft single axle XL, mororhomes, that Ives seen. I like them, pups. Bet they scoot too.

I only heard of the DD 2-cycles in the last year! Last night at Olympia in Nashville, Austin pulled in with a 1992 Marathon XL. The sound was great, but I thought it was idling pretty high. I hopped on to ask Austin a question and was taken in by a great restoration someone had done. Austin told me it had the 8V92 engine, so the idle suddenly made sense. I'd never seen an older bus in that condition. I can see why someone will buy it quickly.

Austin commented that the previous owner said it gets maybe 5.5 mph, regardless of speed or hills. Like Dale said!
    Mike and Sue

2004 Liberty Elegant Lady
    2009 Mandalay 43A
    2012 Ram 2500
    2007 Honda CR-V toad
    1998 Sumerset Houseboat
    2001 Malibu 23 LSV
    plus other motorized "stuff!"

Mike, You need to add a few more toys in that signature block! You must feel deprived! LOL
    Dale & Paulette

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast