Thread: Connecticut May Tax Your RV

Default Connecticut May Tax Your RV

Beware if you stay in Connecticut for three months or more during the year. The state of Connecticut has a statute that allows local tax assessors to collect personal property tax from nonresidents whose property has been in the state for a period of three months or more prior to tax assessment day, October 1. They assess your RV as personal property based on the current value of the unit. Some city ordinances require all campgrounds to provide to the tax office a list of RV owners who have reserved space for three months or more.

If you are traveling in or staying in Connecticut for a period of three months or more, you should be aware you may be subjected to this tax which can be quite significant (in the thousands) on a Prevost. I don't know what the outcome would be if you move to different campgrounds during that 3-month period? One more example of State's efforts to raise revenue in unconventional ways.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Dale,

This tax problem has been hitting boaters for a long time and it's not just CT. In these tough economic times this should come as no surprise. It may also be worse than you stated. I know VA required marina owners to report all boats on Jan 1 of each year. It wasn't uncommon for boaters to make an over night run to MD because of this. The actual law for assessing personal property taxes didn't actual hinge on a specific day, which many found out when the economy tanked. Deltaville, VA a town almost 100% dependent on the boating industry and the former boat building capital of the Chesapeake, was devastated when most of the large expensive yachts left. It gets worse. The 90 day rule you cite, which I recall VA's being 180 days, only applies to transients that have not paid personal property taxes elsewhere. If you come from a jurisdiction that doesn't have personal property taxes you are subject to local personal property taxes on the day of entry, unless you can prove you are only their for maintenance. I had a conversation with the Tax Collector in this county and she was kind enough to provide the references for their "new" tax enforcement efforts.

The new economy has every one looking for revenue anywhere they can find it.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

Gil,

I'm for cutting overhead and services instead of raising taxes.
    Dale & Paulette

"God Loves you and has a plan for your life!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Farley View Post
    Gil,

I'm for cutting overhead and services instead of raising taxes.
    I'm with Dale and Paulette! Where do I sign up!

Typical Municipal Arm Twisting....

On a Local / State / Federal Level

Tully

Look out, more is coming. States across the country who depended on ever increasing property values and tax payers income to finance their programs will do anything to keep the income Mill alive.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide