Thread: Looking into buying a new set of tires....?

Default Looking into buying a new set of tires....?

When I bought my 1990 Prevost in 2008 it had Michelin tires on it. The date code is 2004 or 2005. Excellent tread, very little sidewall intrusion. But, I know it is time.

Now I am looking to get some new tires.

I will first replace the steer tires and of course work back and leave tag for last.

I have not even really started looking too much because I am affraid of the pricing.

So, I probably put less than 3000 miles a year on the bus. Im not looking to break the
    bank nor go cheap.

What kind of $'s (ballpark) would I be look at per tire/mount/balance?

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tully

Tully, if you are an FMCA member, definitely look into the deal they have for Michelin Tires. I am running Firestone FS560 on my bus and have no complaints other than getting difficult to find the 12R-22.5 looking around $500 ea mounted etc.

Hey Roger. We upgraded the Beaver XL 40 to 315's since Michelins can utilize our 8.25 inch wide wheels. Other manufacturers may have similar requirements so coach owners with 12R aren't stuck using only that size. Michelin has even updated their psi chart for 315's on the narrower wheel
    Jim and Chris
    2001 Featherlite Vogue XLV 2 slide with Rivets-current coach, 1999 shell
    Previous 22 years,
    We have owned every kind of Prevost shell but an H3-40

Thanks for the replies....

Michelin 315 XZA2 through FMCA is about $565 + $56 federal tax + $30 mount and balance + local tax + tire disposal fee. The FMCA pricing is the best you'll find on Michelins.

You may also want to explore super singles on the drive axle. There are claims that the initial change over with new wheels is about the same price as 4 regular tires and the next time will be much cheaper.
    Last edited by Gil_J; 07-19-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Gil and Durlene
    2003 H-3 Hoffman Conversion

I have heard that the truckers are moving away from the super singles because when they blow they take out so much stuff it cost more than the savings to repair the damage.

Jim, did you go 315's all around or just on the steer? How much difference?

Figure $650.00 per tire, maybe a little less depending on the brand and location. The Chinese tires have been used by some, they are in the $400.00 range I believe. Those prices may have changed however.
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide