Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beware that awning springs don't injure you

Jeff Bayley Guest

Default Beware that awning springs don't injure you

A mechanic doing some work for me here used to be an authorized installer for Zip Dee awnings. He told me that an awning spring can kill you if you go to dissasemble it carelessly. That is good information to have that I didn't know. I had my awning let itself out from a severe cross wind not too long ago and I was lucky that it did'nt get totally ruined but instead I was able to extend it and watch as it rolled the flapping canvas back up just like it was supposed to. I was shocked that it didn't tear itself off the bus. I can easily see where I may have needed to remove it under different / less lucky circumstances and might have found this out the hard way.

Be warned.

There are probably few owners that have not had awning problems. If you have not had them yet, you will.

I'm not familiar with the newer cantilevered awnings, but the old style Zip Dee awnings do require certain things if you are to travel with them in high winds. You should have working locks on both ends. You should have the claw type pivoting lock that is secured to the side of the coach and the awning aluminum slats as a back up lock. Since we experienced what Jeff did in Barstow CA one time and had to hang ove the side of an embankment to try to re-roll our awning that opened while we were driving we also use the velcro wrap type straps on the awning arrms to supplement the end and claw locks.

The comment about the spring is that if you choose to disassemble your awning yourself you really need to understand about how much energy is stored in a coiled spring, and that once you detach the aft awning arm things are going to get exciting unless you can hold it and unwind it carefully. It may not kill you, but an awning arm flailing around will beat you about the head and body.

But....do not be afraid to work on your awnings. They are simple, and usually the only repairs which need to be made involve a replacement of the brake. Brake replacement is not difficult and it generally takes about 1/2 hour to unwind the spring, drill out the old rivets, install the new brake and rewind the spring. It can be done by one person, but it is far easier with two, especially if one of the two is someone tall like JDUB.

Do the springs lose their strength over time? I recently replaced the fabric on our awnings and the patio awning seems to have a very weak return. I followed Zip-Dees instructions and wound the 20' awning 20 turns and it didn't want to return at all. Added another 10 and it's still very weak. Is replacing the spring a big deal. Thanks.

BrianE
    94Liberty XL

Brian,

They do. You can compensate for that by adding a turn or two.

If you can support the aft end of the awning on a tall ladder and disconnect the arm(s) from the coach you will feel the arms trying to unwind. Take a turn or two in the opposite direction and see if that restores the tension necessary to roll it up tightly. Have Beverly stand nearby because you may need help.

You may have to slide the inner arm out to get the swing you need. I'm going by memory. JDUB, can you provide more detail?

lewpopp Guest

You must turn the arm the same number of turns as the number of feet long the large awning is plus 7. 30 turns seems excessive to me. The Dodas will help you if you call.

Lew

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Listen to Lew: He's the Zip-Dee Meister.

The deal on the Zip-Dee awnings is that they are supposedly guaranteed for life (parts only) and each awning has a certain number of turns prior to securing it for proper tension on extension, rollup speed and storage. More or less turns can either result in too much tension or not enough.

I'll try to find out more about the twists and turns if I can.

In any case with the 'patio' awning, you better have a good friend you can trust on the other end, that is, unless you are looking forward to a rather interesting event.

Lew is right on the number of turns, but the springs do relax after several years, and the recommended number of turns is approximate.

The spring can be replaced and to work on the awnings isn't a big deal until you are dealing with a fully wound spring, at which point you just need to be careful and not let go of the arms. You need a drill and a pop rivet gun and a few wrenches for tools. Unless the spring is broken all that should be necessary is to add some turns.

On my coaches I felt the spring tension was correct if the awning was pulled open and it would not stay down unless I held it or the brakes were on. If I reduced the spring tension by one turn the awning would stay down. Its a trial and error thing.

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Wehrenberg View Post
    Its a trial and error thing.
    So is bungie-jumping. Makes sense to have an extra-long bungie cord, but it is likely that shorter is better?

Lemme see if we can find out something that's recommended as a baseline.

I wrote it down to figure out.

Now if I can just find that piece of paper....

Just Plain Jeff Guest

As usual, Lew nailed it:

http://www.zipdeeinc.com/images/rv_m...sionspring.jpg

There are even pictures! The New Year has promise.

No disagreement Jeff, but as the spring ages and weakens some adjustment becomes necessary. The trial and error comment comes from the fact that the awning spring has changed a little over time and just how much compensation one must make for that change is not as precisely defined as it is on a new one.

If I remember we made a one or two turn adjustment on JDUB's in Polk City.

Related to this is the exact same thing on the emergency brakes on our coaches. Those who never have to deal with inclines won't realize it, but as the brakes age, the holding force on the emergency brakes diminishes. Since there is no way to compensate for that our only recourse (unlike with a Zip Dee awning) is to replace the brake chamber.