Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beware that awning springs don't injure you

Back in November PeterVS started a thread showing his improved awning support arms, (as installed on our bus). I posted the following re that experience. Jeff's warning should be taken seriously.

The results of getting ahead of yourself can have unpleasant results. Even though both awning lock arms were engaged, somewhere in the process one of them got bumped open and the other one was tripped when the awning came loose in my hand. Suggest that the patio awning should be taken down with two guys on ladders at both ends. Much less expensive.
    BrianE
    94LibertyXL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BrianE; 01-01-2007 at 10:51 AM. Reason: attachment

Jeff Bayley Guest

Regarding my original post about the awngings and the danger, I want to add the following. Minimizing the danger on the awnings (or similar dangers) by saying that it's no big deal if you know what your doing. Key phrase there "if you know what your doing". Landing the Space Shuttle is no big deal if you know what your doing. I would be a perfect candidate for getting hurt on somthing like this and hopfully my Dum and Dummer counterpart is not out there in this group, but just in case, use caution. The story that was relayed to me involved a coach owner that was requesting the installer (the guy who told me the story) to add a few extra turns than was called for in order to make the spring tighter and hold the awning tighter. The installer refused and after he left, our hero of this story took it upon himself to redo the installers work and add his self prescribed extra turns. The extra turns weren't the problem but rather his dissasembly of the awning incorrectly. The spring unwound in his hand somehow and sent him to the hospital with severe cuts. Evidentley he bleed all over his new white carpet and also had permanent nerver damage in his hands.

I thing that our level of knowledge is all relevant and what is obvious and a no brainer for some is rocket science for others. I've noticed that a lot of members are technically inclined, thank goodness for the rest of us who depend on them for help. Machine shop owners, manufactures in various fields, electrical contracter are just a few real examples that come to mind. The bus is a natural toy for some and the complicated systems are viewed as interesting. The more you enjoy tinkering with things the more enjoyable your bus ownership will be I suspect. I've got a whole electrial kit I keep on board including two volt meters, a soldering iron, etc but I just learned what a relay does recentley when I went to get my trailer lights wired up. I was in Texas changing my shore power cords end out and another coach owner marveled and tried to recruit me to work on his coach thinking I must be a whize at everything. I'm no where close to being a Mr. Wizard like some of the active posters here.

I can be wreckless in one area and super concious in another. I probabley drive to fast for example but I have every kind of blinking beacon, saftey contes, flares and reflectors on board which is a good thing beucase I need them more often from going to fast. Wait, maybe there is a coralation there. Note to self.......slow down and do better maintainence and mabye you can ditch the roadside junk. Hmmm, what a concept.

Ok, here's another example then. Your going along at 75mph and everthing is fine right ? Suddenly, the yo,yo in front of you decides to slam on his brakes to get off at the next exit and the cocktail your drinking goes all over the place including your good pants. Moral of the story ? Don't drink and drive with good pants on. Jeeez, these other drivers that brake fast like that are going to ruin my good clothes ! I think one POG'er had to replace his transmission control panel recentley from spilling his cocktail down there. Oh, that was juice. I have to get one of those head gear things that hold the beers and run a straw to your mouth. Now there's a safety device !

Next question. I'll post here rather than start a new thread. That way someone will click on the awning topic and get something totally unrelated. Why stop now ?

How much voltage is too low to run my Aqua Hot without causing maintaince issues ? When I had it serviced last, the tech cautioned me that low voltage was bad for them. I can't recall exactly how or why but I think he said the orafice that the fuel goes through get's clogged / dirty easier (???). I'm dry camping now and using the Aqua Hot and the interior blower fans to heat the coach and my voltage get's down around 11.4 volts. I thinks this is too low. I don't want to use the auto start especially over night.

I've also noticed that my batteries seem to hold their charge level better between the low to high 11's and give a sharp(er) drop off down to 12 volts from a full charge. I'm running Interstate D-4's. 8 of them. Only about 4-5 months old. I know already know that lifespan of the batteries is reduced by letting them drain down to far (11.8 ???).

Aquat Voltage question to main thing I'm after.
    Last edited by Jeff Bayley; 01-01-2007 at 02:48 PM.

Hi Jeff. Anything under 12.25 volts is not good
    Gary & Lise Deinhard, 2003 Elegant Lady Liberty, Dbl slide

Jeff,

Gary is right because 12 volts is just a convenient way to describe the batteries. If they are at 12 volts they are virtually dead. There are some good sites to help you understand batteries and their management.

Here's one: http://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Bat...ery%20Voltages

The reason for talking about this is because it directly impacts your Aqua-Hot. You need good voltage for two reasons. You have an internal pump that forces the diesel fuel through an orfice to make an atomized spray, If the voltage is low it affects how ell the pump does its job. The second reason to maintain the voltage is you need a spark to ignite the atomized fuel, and the less atomization the more you need the intense spark. So low votage works against you in two ways.

But how low does it have to get? That is a good question, and the only way to answer that is to literally run a test with lower voltages until you get to the point where performance is affected unless the Aqua Hot engineers have already provided the answer.

Jeff Bayley Guest

Gary and Jon-

Thanks for the feedback. I've run the Aqua Hot for a few nights with the voltage in the mid to high 11's. I get the sense that I get build up somewhere from running it at low voltage. If I run it at proper voltage will it burn off the build up and be ok or do I need to have it checked ? Not even sure if I'm characterizing this correctly.

lewpopp Guest

Default Landing the space shuttle is no big deal

Jeff,

I once knew a little girl who was brought up in the poor neighborhood and she kept looking skyward. Her mother hardly had enough to make it week to week. They lived in my area where I had a store and the little girl frequented my store along with her little friends.

The true story goes that she would see the gliders flying above and wondered how they stayed aloft. Some day I'll fly up there she would say.

Where am I going? If a space shuttle is so easy to land if you know what you are doing, then why do they sometimes revert to landing in California, New Mexico, or Texas? Because they require exacting elements on hand to land such s flying machine. We all know this !

Working at a local pizza parlor, this little girl took glider lessons and then flying lessons and went on to a local community college. What an amazing gal and then she went on to receive many more aeronautical degrees thru scholarships and hard work.

The little girl will agree with me about the difficulty in landing the space shuttle because she did it numerous times. This little girls' name is Eileen Collins. One of the most magnificent women I know.

Lew

Jeff Bayley Guest

Ok Lew. Point well made.

Let me rephrase then. Baking a cake is easy if you know what you're doing ?

Jeff,

Keep the batteries above 12.2/24.4 and you will be in good shape. Set your auto gen to start at those voltages. When your driving, your alternator will take care of the batteries and when your plugged in the inverter/chargers will keep them topped off. 12.2/24.4 is considered 50% discharged and anything lower than that will decrease the life of your batteries.

Wink Spring Replacement

I just replaced the spring on my window awning. Took 20-30 minutes, not hard at all. I really liked the parts from Zipdee. I was expecting just a spring that I would need to install on the ends and connecting rod, but got the total assembly ready to install. EASY!

Lifetime warranty I was told is for the original owner or at rallies, fair by me. $64.00 bucks got me the parts to my house. I do have a problem with the PLC that controls the main awning. Just not firing the solenoids correctly. They offered to help me at the rallies or at their shop in Illinois. I can extend and retract the awning by manually opening and closing the solenoids in the correct order. I have the Directlogic programming software and the cable. If I get time I think I will see if they will email me the program.

Mike & Dee
    01 Royale, Quartzsite AZ tonight