Thread: Something to think about...

Threaded View

Just Plain Jeff Guest

Default Something to think about...

Lately we've had lots of postings about weight, weight, axle loading, trailers and the like.

I'd like to add my paltry 2 cents to this discussion.

We are driving buses which range from 20 to 30 tons at high speed down the public highways. As I have noted before, we do so with about 8 square feet of adhesion between rubber tires and various types of pavement.

Sometimes the pavement is wet, combining water, oil, ground up rubber and the junk on the road, which isn't the best control surface that we would like. So at best, our buses probably have less weight to surface adhesion than a little old lady in her sneakers at the mall.

The point to this diatribe is that we all should be very careful about speed, cornering, handling, stopping and overall control of our buses; in addition to proper maintenance of tires, brakes and the general mechanical condition of buses.

I've seen a couple of buses which more or less pushed the envelope of pavement adhesion and all occupants fared well and buses can be fixed. However, that may not always be the case. Yes, this is a Safety First discussion again which many people probably don't want to read.

So here's a picture of an MCI which may help:

Take it easy on the road. Just because a person can go fast doesn't mean he/she has to.

Having fun means getting to your destination in a relaxed fashion with plenty of optimism to enjoy it.

End of rant.
    Last edited by Just Plain Jeff; 12-28-2006 at 07:30 AM.